1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the best time to plow this kind of storm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LB Landscaping, Feb 22, 2003.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

When would you plow this scenario???
    Rains from noon until 5:00pm from 5:00pm-8:30pm it snows (very heavy wet snow) 2-3 inches, the starts to rain again. The weather calls for rain turning to sleet through tomorrow and getting very cold. Should I plow at the end of the snow fall or wait awhile for some (or all) of the sleet to fall???

2. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Yuck!:eek:

I guess it depends on a couple of things. How hard is it to get around in the snow that has fallen now? how much of the snow will melt before it gets cold? What are other contractors doing?

I guess we would probably go ahead and plow it thinking that it could get worse with sleet freezing on top of a couple of inches of snow. Being a weekend, we'd do any residentials or businesses that were open first and see how things looked, then if needed go back and do any other accounts that are closed until Monday.

Have fun;)

3. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I'd probably plow. Better to have a glaze of ice than 3 inches. In borderline cases I will often take a drive and see if the other contractors are out, as Todd mentioned.

4. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thats what I was thinking. I just warmed up the truck and figured I check with the "pros." There is about 3 inches and the city trucks just went buy making a good sized banking so I figure by leaving it I'll have frozen blocks tomorrow. It is supposed to be pretty cold the next couple of days so its probably better to get it off now. Thanks!!!!

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Plow it...
    If you wait untill it becomes ice. Good luck tring to move it.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm just about an hour northeast of LB Landscaping. Looks like we just got an inch or so, but it's on top of freezing rain, so it's going to be nasty. It's supposed to rain today and coat everything with ice. I'm thinking about putting down a layer of sand/salt without plowing. That way, the ice will form on top of the snow and I can break through that for traction. Mine are all gravel driveways/roads. I guess it'll depend on thickness of the snow.

7. Qualey

Qualey Junior Member

Not sure where you are LB, but in Bangor we went out ~4:30 am and plowed just as it was starting to pour (on top of 2" snow). All commercial lots were salted and they now are being washed clean. I was going to wait on the res. so the water would stay on top of the crust, but its so warm I'm going to scrape them with the bucket (the good customers anyway) and see if the rain cleans them out. If now, they can have us apply salt;)

Matt

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Wound up plowing and sanding. Hopefully, I roughed it up enough to provide some traction for this rain that's going to freeze and coat everything. Customers with a 3" trigger will need to call me if they want plowing or sanding.

9. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I did the same thing Mick & Qualey, (I'm in Portland) I hate plowing this slop, its too messy.