1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats the best straight blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowsniper1, Dec 31, 2008.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

i have several vee blades i need a new straight 8.5 or bigger what is your take on the best one
  2. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Depending on how you use it makes a difference. I have been using the Western 8.5' Pro for the last 12 years and this year bought the Western Pro Plus. It has a taller blade and can take the pro wings that I really like when cleaning out parking spaces at apartment complexes. The wings also help prevent trail off when cleaning long areas as well.
    This is just my opinion, I am sure there are MANY others as well.
    Good luck in your quest.
    Also the price between the 8.5 and 9' was only a couple of hundred bucks.
  3. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Why not another V or wideout? They are all straight blades, but some have the ability to go into more usesable positions. Price would be my only reason to buy a straight blade. I would rather a used V for the same price than a new straight blade. All plows push snow, pick the one that has dealer support close and works for you. My only opinion is trip edge instead of full mold board trip, but its just my opionion.
  4. schmol

schmol Senior Member

I second the Western Wideout idea. We have two where I work and I love plowing with them, the versatility is amazing, you can configure the blade to handle any different plowing situation you may have. The are a fair bit heavier than a straight blade too so they scrape very well. As has been mentioned on here though many times a good dealer should be top on your list in which blade you choose to buy. Everyone has a preference but for us the Western dealer is close and our blades never break down.

It's personal preference, i have western, boss , fisher, the only plows i purchased separate from the trucks are the fisher, the others came with the trucks. We work on the fishers the least
  6. jason t.

jason t. Member

Like mentioned before, it depends on the type of plowing. I strongly encourage you to look at the Wideout. I can pull driveways in HOA's just as fast as a skid with the Wideout expanded to 10'. When pushing snow, it will smoke your vee blades hands down. Thinking of replacing a couple of my vees next year over to Wideouts.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Which dealer has the best servie and support????
    Makes plow choice alot easier when you answer that question.
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Best at what? Durability? Maintainance? Ease of operation?

The straight blade is an obsolete relic of a bygone era. It isn't best at anything.
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

When I used to run just strait blades I always ran Western Pro plows, I always liked them and never had any problems.
  10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I would look at how close tour local dealers are to your shopor work area. I like the western because the dealer is 20 min from house/work area and are open all night if 2in of snow or more fall.
  11. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

It all comes down to the dealer. I like my Fisher X-blade. But I have Westerns that are great too.
  12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I've owned Western, Boss, and Meyer... My vote is the Boss. Easy to work on, even though nothing has broke on minr as of yet. For simplicity I stick with all straight blades.
    Really Proseason, you think "the straight blade is an obsolete relic of a bygone era. It isn't best at anything."
    I personally think plowing with a truck is a dated way of clearing snow. Loaders with pushers, skiddys, & tractors will hands down out perform a truck any day. So in most cases, I have some of my trucks sitting because I don't find them that efficient.
  13. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

That's because you got 'em all set up with STRAIGHT BLADES! j/k:D

You must be able to make that loader talk, sounds like.
    My loader driver is a dork, and so is his wife.....<sigh>.....but it's his POS loader.:cry:
  14. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

trip edge .......fishy
  15. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

I have owned most every plow made and I think the Western Pro Plus is the heaviest duty best scrapping pick-up straight blade out there. We are going to put those on all our new trucks.
  16. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Not sure how you can say that a loader, skid steer or tractor can outperform a truck with blade (I'd say there even if the truck has a straight blade). But with a V, no way.
  17. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm recanting my post. They are all about the same.. If money is not a object, the wideouts and Blizzard plows out perform all others.