1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the best salt to buy

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by StableP, Sep 11, 2004.

1. StableP

StableP Junior Member

newbie woundering whats the best salt to buy

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

any salt that is not wet will do
  3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Ditto, there's no difference in one brand of salt to another, except appearance. Find your best price!

4. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

i'm in connecticut and we get our salt out of north haven at the docks.There are 2 types of salt sold.Both come up on the barge from mexico_One is pure white and the other has a pinkish tint to it,very noticiable.The white salt seems to be more uniform in texture.The pink salt has a bit of finer peices in it with some granulars.Last year we bought both and the white salt would cake up and get a hard covering on it.the pink salt seemed to not ''freeze'' up in colder weather,and worked much hotter.At first i thought i was losing it but we kept track and the pink salt is much ''hotter''.
  5. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

The pink stuff has something else in it, probably potassium chloride. You should find out its makeup as you can (and should) charge more for blends (which typically work better) than for straight salt.
  6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We used both blue salt and the pink salt in bulk.since we have our own semis we buy in bulk and usally keep about 150 tons on hand .We do sell to smaller companys in winter and load them too. by the way I was told the pink salt was coming from brazil and i got alot of blue salt from mich.