1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dakotaplowboy, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

We are starting to gear up for year 2. I have a new truck, an 05 chevy Duramax 2500HD. I am planning on putting my Western Pro plow on my 92 Chevy 2500, it has the 454. I am thinking that I would like to put a V-plow on the Duramax, Possibly a poly. Wondering what insight I could get from some of you. The poly's are a little heavier I know, and a little more expensive, are they really better? I have already re-signed two large apartment complexes, and plan on doing more larger lots this year.
    Can a V-plow move as much snow across a parking lot as a skid steer with a 5foot bucket? I spent a lot of time moving piles with a skid steer last year, would the V- eliminate some or even all of that possibly. I figure if it can move close to as much, what it makes up for in speed would save time?

What are your thoughts? Thanks

2. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

V plows are great and worth it!

Have a 9'2" Poly v Boss and love it, clean up time is fast, you windrow, and then scoop a couple trips and you're done, poly doesn't rust as much, which seems to be a bigger benefit than the slipperyness(is that a word?lol) seems to be. For tight stuff, it seems that a pusher or bucket is still better, but I am amazed how quick the v blade is after years of using straight blades I would not likely ever buy another straight blade. Just my .02!

3. winter

winter Junior Member

Best Plows

By far the best plows are Machinability, made in Ontario canada.
    They do not make pick-up blows, tractors, loaders, skid steers, and higway trucks.
    We only use tractors, loaders and skid steers, you can push 2 to 4 times the snow.
    check them out at...www.machinability.com

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I like our Boss blade's and I'm not sure if the poly is worth the extra or not. I like the fact that the poly doesn't need painting and the snow does slide better on them, but the steel one's get the same amount of work done. The 9'2 will no doubt push more snow then a skid steer with a bucket. Why don't you put a small pusher on the skid?

5. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I know a lot of guys seem to like the boss V. Does it hook up as easily as the western Ultra mounts?

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think the boss plows have a power attach feature.

7. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Having owned and operated curtis,fisher, kubota and snoway plows, im staying with snoway!

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The western ultra mount is still the easiet mounting system to hook up. You can be off pretty far and still get it to hook up. Along with not being level. A boss you got to hit dead on.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Now, now don't argue with him, he'll start insulting people and things. Just nod your head and smile:nod:

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

((Steeping back...slowly......))

:nod: .....:nod: ...............:nod: .................................:D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  12. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

BLIZZARD POWER PLOW, the best plow out there for a pickup truck, or the New WESTERN POWER PLOW, western bought blizzard so they are the same plow. Its a little heavier, but a chevy 2500hd will handle it, it will move a ton of snow with minimal clean up. A v-blade won't even compare. I used a v-blade for 2 years, and moved up to a Blizzard and cut my times down greatly, some places took 1/2 the time to 2/3's the time of a v blade

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not quite, Read the posts, look at the units. They are far from the same plow.
    Douglas dynamics not western bought Blizzard. Then gave the technology to Fisher and western, so now as well as blizzards you've got DDizzards

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Propaganda.:nod:

Two years ago you were 18/19?, not to play the age card but your time line makes me skeptical of your experience and plowing times.

15. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Dakota, go easy...you're going to start a war in here with a post like that..........Fisher snow plows are the answer to your question though.......:) :jester:

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

According the thread he started he has 3 year experance as a driver. This is his first year with his own rig.This post dated 7-13-07,:cool

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=46626

: