1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best plow for a 2015 F-150?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 2015F-150, Sep 18, 2015.

1. 2015F-150

2015F-150 Junior Member

Hello folks.
    I bought the snow prep option when I bought my 2015 F-150. Now I need to buy a plow but I'm not sure what is the best one available. Meyer? Boss?
    Keep in mind whatever I buy needs to be installed by a Ford-authorized installer or my warranty will be voided.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Who are your local dealers? BoSS, Western, Fisher, or ?
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Keep in mind whatever I buy needs to be installed by a Ford-authorized installer or my warranty will be voided.

Unless something has changed over the years, Ford dealers won't install plows, or "bodies". I personally never heard of Ford authorised installers. Fyi Ford dealer mechanic for 8 years myself
  4. 2015F-150

2015F-150 Junior Member

Well, I'll check on that but when I researched this in the beginning of the year I definitely remember reading that it needs to be installed by a Ford-approved installer or the warranty is voided. This obviously is dictated by Ford because they provide the truck's warranty. I'll try to find the specific wording and post when I find it.
  5. dieselss

I don't see how Ford can say authorised installer. That would have to be a national installer.
  6. CatVert68

CatVert68 Junior Member

Federal law doesn't allow them to void the warranty unless they can prove that the aftermarket add-on caused the failure being addressed.

Depending on what is available in your area, consider a stainless steel 7.5' or 8' plow (check the SnowDogg site for an example; I use the MD-68 on my Wrangler). The F-150 is not designed for anything bigger than a home-owner, medium-duty plow. As long as you stay within recommended specs, there shouldn't be any warranty issues.
  7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Boss HTX would be a good choice and Ford made it a point to use the HTX in a couple vehicle publications/articles.
    You can also go to any plow mfr website and it will show you what plow they recommend.
  8. 2015F-150

2015F-150 Junior Member

I called Ford today and they said that I can install what ever I want, but if what I install causes a part to fail prematurely, then that part is not covered by the warranty. I'm waiting for a call back from the salesman who sold me the truck. Now I'm thinking that he's the one who told me this.

As far as which model to go with, I spoke to a plow dealer today, and he says I could go with the Boss HTX or a Snowdog MD75. What other plows could I use on this truck? The Boss HTX was supposedly designed for this truck. If I go for the 7' plastic blade option, does the lighter weight translate into less wear and tear on the truck? My FGAWR is 3,525 lbs, SuperCrew & 6.5' bed. It's already a very long truck, so does the 7' blade help with maneuvering in tight situations?
  9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Why are you wanting a plow for this truck in the first place?
  10. CatVert68

CatVert68 Junior Member

The MD-75 is a stainless steel plow that I've had on a previous truck. It worked well for a small commercial parking lot and and my driveway at home. It will hold up well, functionally and cosmetically. I have no experience with the HTX.

I do, however, question a statement that any plow was designed for a specific truck. They all are, to an extent. They all have vehicle-specific mounts and wiring kits, so I'm not sure what would be any different about the HTX.
  11. 2015F-150

2015F-150 Junior Member

I have a 300' driveway and I live in northwest NJ. I've been using a snowblower but this is my new solution since I wanted the truck anyway.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Doesn't anyone read their owners manual?

salesmen fib.....

We recommend the four-wheel drive F-150
    in XL, XLT or Lariat trim levels with the 5.0L
    engine and snowplow option for residential
    snowplowing only. We do not recommend
    the F-150 with the automatic four-wheel
    drive system for snowplowing.Do not use F-150 vehicles equipped with the 2.7L or 3.5L engines for snowplowing

weight limits and guidelines for selecting
    and installing the snowplow are in the Ford
    Truck Body Builders Layout Book,
    snowplow section, found at
    A typical installation affects the following:

Certification to government safety laws
    such as occupant protection and airbag
    deployment, braking, and lighting. Look
    for an Alterer

s Label on your vehicle
    from the snowplow installer certifying
    that the installation meets all
    applicable Federal Motor Vehicle
    Safety Standards (FMVSS).

The Front Gross Axle Weight Rating
    (GAWR) is on the upper left side of the

s Safety Compliance
    Certification Label. This is the total
    weight that front axle supports, which
    includes the vehicle weight plus any
    auxiliary equipment such as snowplow
    frame-mounted hardware that can be
    added to the vehicle and satisfy Ford
    compliance certification to FMVSS. Do
    not exceed FGAWR or Gross Vehicle
    Weight Rating (GVWR).

Rear ballast weight behind the rear
    axle may be required to prevent
    exceeding the FGAWR, and provide
    front-to-rear weight balance for proper
    braking and steering.

Front wheel toe may require
    re-adjustment to prevent premature
    uneven tire wear. Specifications are in
    the Ford Workshop Manual.

Headlight aim may require adjustment

a link to your owners manual.
  13. Sawboy

Just for you driveway? Hire someone and let them pound on their trucks that are purpose built for it instead of hammering a square peg into a round hole. Or, go buy a "beater with a heater" and a plow on it for less than the cost of a new plow and leave your truck as is.
  14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

This or a monster size snowblower for what a new plow will cost for your F150. Just for a driveway, I would look for a Jeep, Bronco, or a Blazer with a plow already on it. That is if you are dead set against a blower. Heck, even a lawn tractor with a blower would be a better choice than plowing with your F150.
  15. CatVert68

CatVert68 Junior Member

I understand the point the other posters are making, but here is another way to look at it.

You can buy an MD-75 installed on your truck for just over $4K, maybe less. How long would it take, based on local plow rates and a 300' driveway, for the plow to pay for itself based on seasonal snowfall? I was able to pay for the plow I had on my old truck after 2 seasons. Every season after that I was getting a return on my investment.

Over the last two seasons, the Home Plow I had on my Jeep Cherokee also earned it's keep but didn't completely pay itself off, since I'm no longer doing the small commercial lot and my cost basis is lower.

The alternative of finding a used Jeep or truck with a plow offers the same opportunity while keeping your new F-150 from having to be worked that hard. You might be able to do that for less than the cost of a new plow, which could get you earlier ROI.
  16. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Why are so many people against putting a plow on his good new truck? Everyone else buys a new plow truck with a new plow and uses it.
    We thought about picking up a cheap older plow truck to do the job.
    So now you have to insure another vehicle. Register another vehicle. Maintain another vehicle. How often do you need to repair brakes and such on a truck that sits all summer while waiting to plow?
    He has a brand new truck with warranty. Put the plow on. Remote start it. Plow driveway. Done.
    Most people these days don't keep a truck for more than 4 or 5 years anyways.

Buy the boss lightweight that was shown on the 15 f150 at the auto shows. You will be more than happy with it.

What's the point in spending all this money on a 4wd truck and not using it?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  17. Sawboy

What kind of truck? Was it one that is not recommended for plowing like this particular truck?

Also much different than the OP's F150

A truck that is designed to plow, not specifically recommended NOT to plow with.

Which will be voided the nano second the plow is installed.

Not every truck needs or SHOULD have a plow. Look at the owners manual posted. This truck is NOT designed for it.

Square peg, round hole.
  18. CatVert68

CatVert68 Junior Member

To answer your question, my old truck was a 2005 F-350 4x4 diesel.

But it doesn't really matter. He has a factory plow prep package. By definition, it is designed for a plow and fits the recommendation in the first paragraph of the manual excerpt in your earlier post. He couldn't have gotten the plow prep package unless his truck meets that description.

His warranty is fine as long as he stays within the specs of the truck and the plow package, which calls for a home-owner, non-commercial class plow. Both the MD-75 and the lightweight Boss qualify within that class.

My post is just offering a way to look at his choices from a financial point of view. In the end it comes down to what he wants to do with his vehicle.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  19. dieselss

And prove he only plows NONCOMMERCIAL.....
  20. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member