1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best "I aint' Plowing your lot no more" letter I can send?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, May 14, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I want to quit one of my clients, I do not have a multi-year contract but one that is re-signed every year.
    I do not bid on the lot, it is a set price by them and is way more then what I would charge anyway.

They are on a 45 day payment, I had to call, call, call to get paid for Dec. after it was already past due and I got the check at the end of April.
    I did the same for Jan, I just got the check today after sending a letter stating the bill was past due and I was going to start adding late fees and send to collections.

SO I do not want to work for them anymore, I do not want to just not plow there lot. I would like to be somewhat professional about quit them, other then telling them I will not plow there lot anymore due to them not paying on time and have to aggravate and threaten to send to collections to get paid.

They are a national chain based out of state, so its not like I can go talk to them in person.

What is a good way to word a letter telling them to find someone else?
    Warning, I may just copy you and send it to them!! :D:D
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Copy and paste what you just wrote and send it to them,after you get all your money though.
  3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

If you sign a new contract every year, why not just NOT sign. :confused: When they ask why, you tell them in a nice way you're not a bank. 4-5 months for payment is ridiculous, I'd have dropped them a long time ago! :gunsfiring:
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Good points but if they pay well I could care less as long as I get paid.
  5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

X2... I have snow that's still owing...and not just a couple hundred bucks either! But I don't care... Money's money, they always pay no matter what, so what's the difference? As long as I get my money I'm happy, when I get it I don't really care... You'd be stupid to quit an overpaid job with the times right now just cause you wanna feel all powerfull and tell them this is how its done... JMO
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

If these bids are "way more' that what you'd bid, maybe you should rethink your price points. Nationals are not known for their great pay. If you think your getting "great pay" this may be part of your problem. Its all about cash flow. If you can carry over this "great pay" and wait until they pay you, then great but if your pricing lots soooo low thats its hurting you, then you need to raise your rates so this doesn't happen.

Personaly I won't put up with it.... I did it in the past and refuse to do it again.... too much of a pita for their "great pay"..... and I'm not chasing anyone. All my accounts are paid for from this past season.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just wait until they want to to resign in the fall. Then drag it out for 60-90 days. Ask them when they call you about renewing at the end of 90 days, "How do they like being strung out?" But thats just me, I won't put up with their crap.
  7. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Dropping a customer

Not a big deal if you really do not want to work for them. When they contact you to sign the contract in the fall, just say 'No, thanks'. No reasons required unless you want to tell them.
  8. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

What about resigning them with a contract with detailed payment terms and interest for late payment. Let them be slow pay but know your making 1.5-2% per month. I would take that kind of return over any other investment out there.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Perhaps you could go to college and take a few classes, even earn a degree. I'm sure they have a curriculum to help you write a one paragraph letter that says "I cannot service your account under your payment terms."
  10. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

That's how I feel if it is indeed "Good Pay".
    Technically, that is a paragraph, 2COR is great for getting a point across in one sentence though....Technically...:waving:
  11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'm waiting on a couple yet for March, but they're the notorious 60 day customers, no worries about getting paid, just the way they are, and I'm dealing with the owner, not a management company. One I don't think is going to pay, but it's only a few hundred.

I'm not the best at accounting, and I'm not very patient, so it's nice that 95% of monies owed we have within 20 days. Thumbs Up Plenty of good paying work out there that pays in a timely fashion, no need to play banker waiting for money for months and months. :rolleyes:
  12. Stan

Stan Senior Member

What are the payment terms on the contract? My private customers are net 30 of invoice day. "XX%" over 30. Never had a problem.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

As already said, just don't sign next year. I still have 1 invoice owed for Dec, 4 for Jan, 7 for Feb, and 9 for March. Everyone is taking their sweet time this year, even ones that used to pay right away are now taking 30-45 or more days and the ones that used to take 30-60days are taking way longer.:realmad:
  14. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Agreed. As long as you get paid what does it matter in this case your getting paid more then you would bid it for...
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  15. SnowMT

SnowMT Member
    from MT

Can appreciate your frustration,
    Before giving up monies, I would solve the problem. If not getting paid on time is the issue. Approach your contact and be up front and honest about it. They may have some suggestions on getting you paid sooner than later.

If given a chance, will you take it? If given no chance, can you make one?
  16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I agree that if they are paying well but paying late, I'd probably keep doing the work. However, the lack of respect shown by some late payers does get a bit annoying at times.