1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's the Best drivetrain for Plowing ??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Katmandu, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Katmandu

Katmandu Junior Member
    from Ohio

What would make a better plow truck ?? BTW, both are 88 F250s...

#1) Has a 460 and C6

#2) Has a 302 and a 5 Speed.

Which would make a better drivetrain for plowing ?? :confused:
  2. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I would go with the 460/C6. Tons more power than the 302, and the C6 is probably the best auto tranny that Ford ever made.
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

460/c6 hands down.
  4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

YUP & YUP. That 460 will suck the gas. But much more POWER.
  5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I wouldn't want the 460 but the C6 is alot stronger than the Mazda 5 Speed behind the 302. Just be easy when you are pushin as to not light the tires up. Put up a nice big tranny cooler and flush every year and you should have no issues
  6. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

neither if you ask me. 460 sucks way to much gas, you don't want to throw all your money in the gas tank, besides you don't need all the power a 460's got for shoving snow! a 302 easily has enough power to shove with, unless you have a 10 foot blade! on the other hand ask your self do you really want to be clutchin it a couple hundred times a night, especially if you have small lot's gas station's etc. where your doing alot of back an forth action. a 302 or 351 with a c-6 would be great, even better a 7.3 diesel with a c-6. hope i helped. pete
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Another + for the 460/C6 is the C6 is cheap to have rebuilt! I have the 351/C6 and the tranny died last Jan. It was rebuilt and a rebuilt torque converter was installed too. It was $800 out the door with towing included.
  8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Another c6/460---plowed with an old 76 with this setup and the truck is still out there making money for the guy who owns it now!:cry: should have never sold it for 700 bucks back 12 years ago! But she was looking real ratty and still is today!:bluebounc
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A 460 is a darn good motor. It has a bit more stuff on it then like the 351 but when they had them in ambulances I never had one die under me. In 15 years of driving the 460 / c6 combo I never had one towed back or die under me.
    I can't say that for the 10 years of PS Diesel's and 4 spd's we have now.