1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what's the average of an electric boss motor

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by az landscaping, Jan 22, 2011.

1. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

Just replaced a motor after 5 years,just wondering on the average life. Total cost around $ 450

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My first motor lasted 2.5yrs, it did not have the ground terminal on the case. The motor brushes were completely worn down, and the brush dust shorted it out I believe. Once I cleaned it up it worked. The 2nd motor is 2yrs old now, last time I checked the brushes seemed to be wearing slower, different design-perhaps less tension on brush springs. I am going to open it up at the end of this season and see how its doing. Meanwhile I have a brush kit for the other motor to rebuild it (another project not completed). Not sure sure how much of the wear is my fault. I will be making it part of 2yr maintenance to clean the brush dust out of the motor. It seems to be just as important as changing the pump fluid.

3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Mine just fried yesterday with about 6 years on it. I plow about 100 hours per year. I think you got screwed at $450! The motor is about $225 from a BOSS dealer (a bit less if you shop around) and you can change it with common hand tools in 30 minutes.

4. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Just bought one Friday for $225 from a boss dealer, my plow is an 06 model.

Changing it out for the first time can be a challenge. Mine did not go well:dizzy:

5. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

Just called dealer and told me $225 going to pick up one today and a set of hoses before i get hosed again !

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Can I ask where you bought the brushs from? I have been trying to find a set for the old motor I pulled out of my Boss Plow???

Thanks Mike

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

12 years old and still going fine.The brushes looked great still last season when I did my PM inspection.

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

8 years and never touched.... Still going strong and I plow ALOT

9. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Got brushes from ForestCity Auto Electric Inc P/N WBK-22 $58.21 w/tax/shipping.
    Pretty sure I can get this to work. May add gnd post to motor housing.