1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's that white stuff called???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Jan 20, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

We're going on 20-days with no snow. December was a heck of a month, but now we have nothing. I see more and more grass every day. Doesn't look like there's even any snow in the forecast. How's everyone else doing?

-Tim

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Tim here in Boston we have been seeing only 3-5" storms about once a week or so mayby more and we have suposably a real snow storn comming here and dumping 6+ Inches tonight but who knows if it's true or not untill it all falls on the groung weather men don't even know.

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

SlimJim,
    I think you better move over to Erie and help John out.
    Crazy how the weather works.Some get the whole chicken and some get just the feathers!
    We are suppose to get 5-9 inches tonight.
    Good Luck

4. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

this fall, the long term forecast were oct, nov & dec, months with higher precipitation than average, jan, feb, and march are supposed to be under average. looks like they're telling the truth.

5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Feathers? I haven't got that. I am still thinking about spreading salt on the street, then plowing that.

Yes, that boring in Kansas!!!

6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Rooster,
    Hang in there I am sure you will get some feathers before April!
    Plowing the salt reminds me of the Post Office commercial.Guy in Florida orders packing peanuts and spreads them all over his lawn to be his snow.Same concept!
    Think Snow....

7. MJ

MJ Senior Member

Rooster, I used to work in KS about ten years ago. Seems I remember busting plenty of drifts with the car on the way to work. If it's any help, not much snow up here in Maine this year, either. John kept it all before it could get here.

Mick

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

S N O W ................... i think.

Tim,.. whenever you get snow, we get snow , so no snow here yet. I am considering plowing snow off the lawn onto our drive so i can plow it out,..lol

(I am serious)

9. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Bad situation working out for me here in Dayton Ohio. The storms seem to know that I would like to get to some plowing and the spiral just out of range, or if they hit we fall into the eye. Shucks, Darn and all of that stuff. LOL Happy plowing to those of you that are out there in it. At least here on Lawnsite I listen (read?) about everyone's elses exploits.

10. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Having the same problem in Michigan. About ready to put the plows away for the season. Usually when I do that we get dumped on. Mid Michigan hasn't got any in three weeks.

11. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

OH NO!!! Don't give up yet Eager Beaver. We have to get some more snow before the end of winter. Keep the faith, Bud.
    We're caught in the middle of "The Great Snow Lottery" and we just haven't bought the right ticket yet...hang on.

The Plowjockey
    Happy Plowing

12. Ken

Ken Junior Member

Come on Rooster, We got nailed in December!!!!

I live just west of Rooster, in Lawrence Kansas and the snow storm in December was one of the best I've had in a long long time. The schools here were closed for three days and thats a record as far as I know.

Last winter was the worst for me as I only bladed two driveways the whole winter. I have to say things are looking up as I just sold one of my old Deere hydraulic snow blades for a garden tractor and got my asking price.

Now like everyone else I need it to snow again as the local stores have restocked up on ice melt and snow shovels. I hope this is a good thing to think that winter is not over for Northeast Kansas. All my equipment is ready and primed to go at a moment notice, PLEASE LET IT SNOW AGAIN.

Ken

13. Big Nate's Plowing

Everyone, Take your plows off!!!

Because then we all will get snow, it never fails

14. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Ken,
    That 9" we got in December plus a little 2"incher help and December was great!

But we are past the middle of January, I don't want all the snow, just a little 2 or 3 incher!:)

15. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

My plow has been off for a week. Still no snow. Maybe I should take my spreader off...

-Tim

16. 1st impressions

1st impressions Junior Member

SlimJimZ71

I'm in the same boat as you. Took my plow off 2 weeks ago.
    Even washed my truck. Nothing is working.But hang in there
    for all is not lost.The good news for you is that i'm taking
    a vacation in early February for a week. If this does not help you nothing will. Maybe you can cover me while I am away!

17. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Hey Tim,
    Are you getting the same crap from people like I am?
    You know, the ones who give you the ol' "You must have made a fortune in December, now what are you doing" lines. I just tell them that it ain't over til May in Illinois. Though after going to the Mid Am show I'm ready to get out of the cold and into the dirt. Keep doing that snow dance.

18. Big Nate's Plowing

plows off

I took my plow off tonight, so maybe we will get some snow next week,(i hope).

19. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

MJ - My brother works in Poland Springs Maine, he called me and complained that he had to pay $20.00 for someone to plow his driveway. Pretty cheap I think, his drive is 1/4 mile long.

PLOW KID - I think you have the right idea, my might come off tomarrow. Thanks for the idea, (then the snow will come for sure right!:) )

20. MJ

MJ Senior Member

Rooster - Yeah, $20 is kind of cheap even for this neck of the woods, but complaining about it is typical, too.

Mick