1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats that Sound????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Well everyone my 1985 F-250 4x4. Has been making a few klunking noise going down the road. The front end was completely rebuild about 600 miles ago. New ball joints all around, new shocks all around, new tie-rods inner and outter all around, New drag-link bars all around. The klunk noise always came from the driver side of the truck and I could fell it when my feet were on the floor, So I check out the whole front end and everything it tight and does not move, motor and tranny mounts are good. None of the front end parts have play in them. The 4x4 hubs are good and work fine. the 4x4 works good in hi and low. The front drive shaft has the normal amount of play. Also the two front drive axles are good and have the normal amount of play. Also the truck has new U-joints all around. And the truck goes nice and straight down the road, and I don't have to fight the steering at all. All of the springs are good same goes for the mounts. All of the body mounts are good also. Today the passenger side of the truck started to make a klunk noise to. once again check everything out again and everything is good. And when I was to the mass state inspection place the front end pass with flying colors. :dizzy: And I asked twice for them to check and no problem with them. So at this point this is more of a sound that drives me nuts hearing it, there is no harm being done to the truck. :realmad: I am stumped I wanted to get some outside opinons on this. Could It be just play that a 22 year old truck would or could have. A friend of mine has a 2003 F-250 super duty, that has had a klunk in the front end every sence he got the truck and he has been every were to get it fixed even the dealer says that there is notting wrong with the front end it just has klunk. He has had the front-end rebuilt 4 times 2 times by the dealer,1 time by himself, and 1 time by a diffrent mechanic, and still has a klunk in the front-end. So seeing what you guys think, or am I making a big:cry: deal over notting.

2. rollnthunder

rollnthunder Junior Member

Im not for sure on your year but does your truck have the radius arms that come off the front axle and go back to mount under your feet area?If so i bet those rubber bushings are bad under your feet area.I have put these in alot of fords and i always put the energy suspension ones in.

3. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Yea, it's the sway bar bushings mounted to the axle on the '03. They wear out and it feels like someone is hitting the foor under you feet with a hammer and that is about where the links are mounted to the frame. I got some good advice and he cut up a window washer bottle and put it between the bushing and the bar. Helps them not wear so fast. If you use urethane bushings (energy suspension ones) they may last a little longer but they tend to squeak. The rubber bushings cost me about $15 each. As for yours I don't know. Is it a twin I beam or a solid axle?

4. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Sway bar bushings

Just had the same problem, Had to change both arms (Dealer Item) $120.00 , But that knocking under my feet went away......payup

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

check the spring shackels and bushings.That is what made my 84 make a klunking noise.

6. Sharpshooter77

My truck has the TTB (twin traction beams) front end. I think its a dana 55 independent front suspension. They mount under the front of the truck right under the motor. I completey for got about them I have to check them out. As for the springs, shackles, and bushings are all in good. THANKS for the help.

7. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

took the words right out my mouth

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have leaf springs I take it? I have seen the bolt rust almost in half inside the bushing. Even being grade 8 that stuff still rusts. A shock that's questionable will "Thunk" too. Urethane bushings and new bolts might help. Some kits have all the parts to do the springs and sway bar bushings. It's a bit of work but it does tighten up the front suspension.
    One way to get the old rubber bushings out:
    Use a drill motor and a 1/4 bit. Mount small pieces in a vice. Drill down between the metal and rubber. When you drill through angle the drill a little bit. The drill bit will start turning in the around the radius of the bushing. Pull up when it does this. It will walk the bushing right out.

9. Sharpshooter77

I spent the better part of the day checking out the front end again on myt truck. The klunking sound went away a week or 2 ago. When I was on my way out to my uncles house the klunking sound started again, coming from the passenger side of the truck. The only thing that I could find that moved and had play in it was the brake caliper. It had 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch of play. Also I noticed this klunking sound started when it was getting colder out. And it was kinda chilly last night. All of the springs and spring mount have surface rust but no rot at all. I know something is loose some were :dizzy: , it is sure driving me crazy:cry: . Any sugestion are more than welcomed. THANKS

10. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

My 79 250 had the same thing, they make a shim for that caliper to take up the space. The spacer I used was actually fo a 90 international school but, same design. I put the shim in and no more noise.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Loose caliper's are a pretty common thing on the older twin piston style ford's.Try this the next time it's clunking, lightly apply the brakes and listen to see if the noise change's or go's away completely. Applying the brake's will tighten the caliper up on the bracket and the clunking sound will change if it is indeed causing your noise.