1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's that noise under the hood ??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ronj, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ronj

ronj Junior Member
    from mn

'98 Dodge 1/2 ton 4 X 4 5.7 gasoline 120,000 miles when accellerating, there's a pinging/knocking/rattling noise under the hood. When ya ease off the gas it goes away.

2. tmleadr03

tmleadr03 Junior Member

I would vote valves. The head probably needs to come off and replace the cam, lifters and valve springs and possibly valves.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

With all of those Miles it could be, but maybe you got some bad gas? Pinging? Predetonation caused by low octane or the wrong timing, MY .02:waving:

4. ???

Miles??? I have a 179,000 on my Dodge Cummins and have never heard that noise....:D But serious, is the noise a pinging or rattleing??

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like someone is ready for a rebuild..:nod:

6. ronj

ronj Junior Member
    from mn

Survey says the noise is pinging

Where's the timing mark & what should it be set at ?
    Owners manual says refer to sticker under the hood, but it doesn't say anything... just says "has been set at factory, bla, bla, bla....

Also thus is a 5.9 not 5.7 sorry........

7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

might be the valve lifters too

8. 78W200

78W200 Member

Sounds to me like it might be spark knock, could be caused by low octane gas. I have not rode in an dodge yet that did not spark knock. I have a 78w200 with the 400ci,and a 99 2500 with 5.9, my step dad has an 80 d150 with 318, brpther-in-law has a 97 1500 5.9,and my father-in-law has a 02 1500 with 5.9 and all of them spark knock under heavy acceleration. Sometimes my 99 does just crusing down the road. I always thought it was a dodge thing.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think you need to get your gas some where ealse Lol:D

10. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

11. 78W200

78W200 Member

Usually the plenum gasket issue causes excessive gas and oil consumption as well as pinging. That many miles it could be the gasket. Like ZR7 said that is a common problem with the magnums, I don't think it is an issue with the hemi.The site ZR7 mentioned has alot of useful info for dodge owners.

12. danno

danno Senior Member

I agree. Had to replace my intake manifold gasket. For more info on this, go to DodgeTalkcommunity.com. Look up intake plenum, on their search.

13. danno

danno Senior Member

I agree. Had to replace my intake manifold gasket. For more info on this, go to DodgeTalkCommunity.com. Look up intake plenum, on their search.