1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats so special about stainless???(other than how cool it looks)

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by kurtandshan, Dec 2, 2011.

1. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Just wondering what the deal is with a stainless moldboard, sure they look cool but what are the advantages/disadvantages?

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Dis- cost
    Adv- low maintenance, appearance

3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

The mold board will outlast the plow frame.

I think it rolls the snow better then regular steal or poly.

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

It won't rust.

5. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Chicks dig it...

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

All that and more....

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, I think the yellow ones look better. At least when they are new.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can think all you want but they're not.

9. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Bought my Xblade in 2002. Still looks just as new as when i bought it. Yes it really does.

After every storm it is washed and the entire frame, blade everything is sprayed with WD40. There is no rust even on the frame part. I believe its all maintience, its a large investment, mind as well take care of it.
    Heck i even wash out my SS sander and coat the entire thing inside and out with WD40 as well.

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I also think it rolls snow better than painted steel.

11. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

I agree with all of the above listed benny's. i run four xblades in my fleet and will never go back. The attack angle for icy or slushy lots breaks right through. Back dragging is insane again because of the angle. One of my blades has a small dent from an accident and no rust no nothing. Look at a yellow blade with a dent and all rusted and wasting away. I apply never dull at the beginning and end of season and snow just rolls off them. The only rust is on the black painted trip springs and they will get a touch up in the spring. Last the mold board is higher than the yellows so you could stack more snow. I ran the traditional yellows for 15 years and would never look back, and they are 8'6" straight no vee's had a yellow one and sold it after one year.

12. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

I got my 8ft fisher ss xblade last year and tryed it out all last season and it's the best straight blade ive ever owned. Scrapes and stacks the snow awsome.

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Resale value is higher on the stainless, but why would you ever want to get rid of them, unless you are buying a new one?