1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats So Good About Blizzard Snowplows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bolensdriver, Nov 25, 2004.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I see the wings on some models of their plow, but besides that, what is better on them than Fisher, Meyer, Diamond, Western, Curtis, Everest, etc?

Isn't plowing over 9 feet of snow tough on a truck?

Also about looks of them, they seem kind of big and ulgy to me, with that back on them...

2. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

I don't have any Blizzard Plows howeve you should be ducking after saying someting like that here....... :D

3. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

:jester: Nah! I don't mind what people say about them. I just want to know what is so good about them. I don't know, as I haven't used one. Are they worth the money though?

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The biggest thing that I do not like about a Blizzard is the fact that they put hydrualics on the A frame and not the head gear. You will never convince me that the plow motor and spools will live as long down there in the shock and vibration of plowing as long as they will on the head gear and then there is a flimsy plastic sheild over the stuff too (unless they upgraded that recently)

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Thing that makes them real popular is the power extendable wings to go from 8' to 10' on the 810 model and 8'6" to 11' on the 8611 model. Also have a scoop position where the wings move foward and act like a v in the scoop position, but carry even more snow. They really shine in large parking lots. Other then that, they look nice when they are new, the decals seem to come off fast quickly, so after a while it just looks like a white plow. I don't know if blizzard has addressed this problem yet or not, they may have. I like their strait blade models because each side of the moldboard is extended higher throwing the snow well, like a commercial plow. They offer plows for many applications, which is nice 6'8" up to 11'. I have my complaints about them too, i wish everything could be one piece instead of the lightbar being separate. Their truckside mount in general is a little too intrusive on the front end of smaller 4X4's, although the mount looks nice on an F-350. I agree the backs look a little strange, but they are strong plows. Overall, they really have one feature that sets them apart from the rest and thats the extendable wings. They are the only company to offer it and, to their credit, they have had very few probems with a previously unproven design. Other wise, they are no better then Fisher, Western, Curtis, Boss, Everest, but they are better then meyer/diamond, almost anything is IMO.

Personally, i would not hesitate to buy a blizzard, they are very compentent plows.

6. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

I bought one this year a 810 I will post how I like it when or if it snows. I do allot of parking lots that is the reason I bought it because time is money.

7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

They look tuff to me. I have no idea how well they work but they look like they would make a plowin machine to me.

8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

They don't make a plow better than a Vee plow. The V stands for versatility. A V can break through a drift, whereas a Blizzard cannot. The Blizzard CAN carry more in the scoop, or bucket mode than a V can, but... the 810 CANNOT carry more snow than my personal Boss 9' 2" Power Vee can in scoop mode, and I can still bust a drift....

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a Boss 9.2 and after using it for 5 seasons on commercial accounts I would never buy another one. Any V plow for that matter.We never once used it in the V to bust open any drifts. One of my other trucks had a Boss straight 8ft. super duty with pro wings and was very solid. That I traded off for the Blizzard 810 last spring. If the Blizzard holds together as well as the other plows I have owned, then it will indeed be the best thing since sliced bread.At least to me.

10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Mark, glad you like the 810,

I have a customer, a subdivision, who were literally trapped in there homes. The entrance street had a huge gate and opened to the road along the golf course, so the wind would just howl down the fairway and crash into those gates and the snow would blow off the golf course and build up. Well, here comes the city and the windrow they left just added to the mess. By mid morning the snow pile was 4 feet high and as wide as a driveway. All these spoiled rich people late for work and whatever.

I threw the truck into 4 lo and popped the clutch.....like the proverbial hot knife.

11. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Pro season which one is it a V can hold more or a blizzard you contedicted yourself. I also wish that some people comment on things that have owned or do won both. I promise you a 810 can hold more cubic feet of snow than your Boss 9'2. Also a power plow can clear a lot quicker with a 10' staight swath. When windrowing a parking lot there is nothing in mine and other snow contractor that can touch it. You extend one wing out and the other forward it will push it over to the moldboard stoping it from trailing off the other side like your conventional or vee plow.

If your woried about the plow twisting or the overall construction just take a look, the plow is fully welded unlike spot welds as the other plows.

"The biggest thing that I do not like about a Blizzard is the fact that they put hydrualics on the A frame and not the head gear. You will never convince me that the plow motor and spools will live as long down there in the shock and vibration of plowing as long as they will on the head gear and then there is a flimsy plastic sheild over the stuff too (unless they upgraded that recently)" I dont know about you but the whole truck vibrates under plowing conditions.

Curtis has there's in the A frame and my spool or motor is still running.

Different people have their minds set just as chevys are best, fords are best, Dodges are best.

Also if you measure up the cubic feet that will hold the truth on which one can carry more.

12. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I used our new 8-10 BLIZZARD last night for 13 hours. I love it...... I had always used fisher plows but I must say that Blizzard has everything going for them. We also have a truck with a Boss on it....... It's no BLIZZAD plow that's for sure!!!!!

13. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

I do have both but a boss 8.2 not a 9.2 I almost bought a 9.2 this year but like I said I do allot of parking lots where the 810 should save the time.1/3 the time form what I was told so that makes more money. I use the 8.2
    V on oil lease sites you can't beat it 4' drifts no problem. The new 810 will never see those sites. I hope this helped. Where I live it does not snow much but the wind makes for some ugly drifts.

14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

lawnsrus,

My Boss Vee is modified. It has Pro Wings installed on it and clears an 11 foot 4 inch swath in a single swipe. When I use it on clean-ups, I use it as a shallow V, I dont put the blades in full forward V mode, and the Pro Wings are angled forward a bit and holds a considerable amount more snow than a stock V.

The 810 is NO match for this thing, (one of my subs has an 810) and will compete with the mighty 8611 on parking lots.

15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

A Western 8' goes for about $3500.00 here in NJ. Anybody have any idea how much would a Blizzard 810 and a 8611 would sell for (not list, but actual selling price, installed)? :bday:

16. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

NJ Snowman

The 810 here in WI is going for 4800 Ins. The 8611 i believe is 5400 Ins. Talk to people in your area that have the plow (in person). Some of the larger companys by me started switching over 3-4 years ago and they are still buying them with 10-20 of them in their fleet.

Pro Seasons

I just couldnt see where you were getting you ideas of which is better or worse or which moves more snow. Yea the boss is a great plow i have heard no complaints from area contractors but we had no idea where you were coming from until you said you had "turkey wings" I cant comment on them since i have never used them and to be honest i have never seen anyone here with one. If you bump a curb what happens?

Jason

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Jason,

I didn't say I had "Turkey-Wings". Turkey Wings convert a standard moldboard into a small pusher box.

I have Pro Wings. Different product.

18. p7m8

p7m8 Junior Member

Do you guys get paid per push or hourly? I get paid by the hour so I never saw a reason to get wings.

19. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Sometimes I get so tired of the bashing that gets thrown around here about how blizzard is not a good plow and how much better a V plow or any-other plow is better than a Blizzard. To be totally truthful I have a Blizzard and love the job it does. But is it the only plow to do the job, nope no way. I'm in the lawn business also, and my favorite machine to run is a Walker for the cutting I do it's the best but we also have Lazer Z's and the machines are top notch at the cutting they do. As a team the two machines provide our customers the best cut, a good looking job for them plus high efficiency for our company. Plowing is the same setup, different tools for different jobs all the tools need to compliment each other to get the job done. We use pushers, Fisher straight plow with wings, a Hiniker V to which we've just added wings, a Meyer 10' straight blade on a 4700 International, and last but not least my Blizzard 810 on a SD. All plows have their place on certain jobs. Sorry for the long rant but sometimes the bashing just gets to me.

Bob :D :D :D

20. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

No one is bashing the Blizzard equipment. The simple truth of the matter is that the winged Blizzard is not as good as a comparable sized Vee. That's just a true statement. Trust me, I have no brand loyalty. If the Blizzard was such an advance in snow management science, I WOULD own one. But it is not. No bash, just a fact. Like a diesel is a better choice over a gasoline powered engine in a long haul application.....just a fact.