1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's so frightening?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike thunder, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

I've often wondered, what is it that scares most (seems to me) snow/ice management companies to their core, about their competition knowing their price's?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I could care less if they know. most of the time if a company shops every year they say how much they pay. I ask all the time ,whether they are telling the truth....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  3. mike thunder

I feel the same way.

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I have always been protective of pricing. Knowing how to price makes or breaks a company. To me it is a learned science. It has nothing to do with your costs and expenses. When you leave money on the table you have reduced profit. With a winter like this companies start realizing the need for profit not just cash flow, The last 2 years were most profitable, it will carry us thru this year.

5. mike thunder

Are you saying you don't want them to know because they may not be profitable now, but if they learn your prices they may become profitable (by increasing to match yours)?

6. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

lawsuits and timely payment .
    they are the 2 concerns we aggressively aproach .
    we avoid snow brokers at all cost . they are just a middleman looking to separate you from your check . there is a good reason why they constantly look for the lowest possible bid. slip/fall litigation is inevitable in this business if you've been in it long enough.:realmad:

7. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

In response, I see no reason to provide information about my business. Bottom line is that newbie's have no clue as a rule, want to grow business at the expense of others with the information that they want others to freely provide,

As an example, I give drivers a bonus based on the dollar amount that they produce on their route. I do not give them a break out by acct. What are they going to do with the info, refuse to do some accounts. Trade up accts. Spend more time on one than another. All of that is what my job is.