1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats percentage increase from 1-2.9" 3-5.9"?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snow game, Oct 28, 2009.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Out here on the East Coast most jobs are bid by the inch plus salt. This year a lot of the larger companies have increased the amount of increments. It used to be 1-3", 3-6, 6-9, 10-12 cost per inch over 12". This year they are going in three inch increments all the way up to 24" then by the inch.
    I have already lost 2 big contracts. The ones that I lost they said my low numbers were good, but by the time I got past the 12" storms (which are rare in RI) I was too high.
    Does anyone have any formulas?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still can't understand some of these companies. If they are looking for a 12+ inch price,they better be looking for a new plow company too. Just give them a BS low number for that much.

3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

You have to hit them with irrefutable historical weather data showing that your low numbers will ultimately lead to a less expensive season.

I see from 35-50% jumps from slot to slot generally.

4. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Thats what I'm thinking Grandview, low ball the large storms and hope it evens out during the year. Some guys start at 25% and go down to about 10% per increment, other guys add 50% across the board and those numbers look crazy when you get upto 24". It gets even more difficult when they want you to include salt in that per push price. But there is no telling them that we won't get a 24" storm, they still talk about the blizzard of 78 out here, (it sells a lot of milk and bread)

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just make sure they are paying you for every push not storm total or you'll get boned.

6. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Its not per push, its per event. Each event lasts 24hrs, I was fine with that we were making good money, but that was when you got paid per appl for salt, now thats gone. This also was the cause for my prices to jump so much, because we would always pre treat and do a partial salt during a big storm to keep the slip and falls to a minimum. So now I have to price all that in a 6-9" storm or just apply the salt once and hope for the best. It gets harder and harder each year.