1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats needed?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RLaBarreII, Oct 12, 2006.

1. RLaBarreII

RLaBarreII Junior Member

What will i need to put a 7 1/2' Fisher from a 1985 Fullsize Blazer to a 1988 k2500? Ive done some research and i think the only different part i will need is the Frame that mounts to the truck... http://www.fishersnowplows.com/pdf/6214_120994.pdf Is this all I will need? Can i use eveything else off of the blazer? can i use the same pulley and belt for the HYDRO pump? both have 5.0l 305's. Also would this set up also work on my 1998 k1500 if i decided to put it on that truck instead? also has 5.0l 305(vortec) Im not sure if this set up is a MM(minutemount) the blade"sticker" says it is a MM but i belevie the rest of the sticker on the frame says "Conventional" does that make any sence? Help a newbie out! Thanks

whats the differance between the mount in the first link and this one?http://www.fishersnowplows.com/pdf/6212_100494.pdf i dont think there is a diff???

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

There are a few things you will run into.

First for the "traditional" (non minute mount) plows the spacing of the mounting ears on the pushframe (A frame) are different between the 7.5' (and smaller) and 8' (and larger) plows. This is probably what accounts for the difference between the 289 and 290 peculiar attachment kits (different pushbeam).

There is also a difference in the truck frame between the 7200 and 8600 GVW 2500's. The 7200 gvw shares the frame geometry with the 1500 and the 8600 GVW shares geometry with the 3500. If you get a set of pushplates for a 1500 (and light 2500) there was a spacer block available from Fisher to put them on the heavy 3/4 ton.

If you have 2 large sealed sealed beam headlights on both trucks the wiring harness should interchange. If either one (or both) have the smaller quad headlamps the harness won't interchange.

If memory serves correctly the '85 should have V-belts for the engines accessory drives (AC, alt, PS etc) and the '88 should have a serpentine belt drive. This means that the pulley and/or pump brackets from the '85 may not work on the '88 without modification/replacement.

3. RLaBarreII

RLaBarreII Junior Member

your right the 85 does have "v shaped" belts and the 88 has the serpintine, my thinking (could be wrong) but it looks like theres just a pully that is added behind the fan(held in by 4blots)It has belt from the "extra" pully to the Hydro pump. Am i right? i can just add this pully to the 88 behind the fan and use the same belt. Technically this will make the engine lose some HP(very little) because it is pulling the extra pully and blet. Just like when people used to remove the AC belt and pully on older style mustangs to gain HP this would just do the opposite. Is my logic all wrong?
    I called a local Fisher Dealer and they said i will need new push plates that will fit the 88 they priced them at $190 a peice(380total) im pretty sure this is the only thing i need to buy to swap the setups. Just to run the plows....not including wireing. Wireings another story... whoever put the plow on the blazer did not buy a wiring harness they just cut the wires and ran some off to the plow lights.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

As a rule Fisher generally ran the plow pump off of an add on pulley bolted to the OEM crankshaft pulley. This way they weren't messing with the allignment of any of the OEM accessories or the fan spacing. If yours is definitely running off of the water pump/fan it may not be entirely Fisher parts (the lack of a factory harness leads me down this road too.