1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's my truck worth?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GPS, Mar 16, 2009.

1. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I will be putting my Dodge up for sale soon, due to recent unemployment (bad time to be in the auto industry). I have another truck, and seriously just dont need the payment anymore.
    It's a 2006 Ram 2500 Hemi with the 545RFE auto, manual shifted transfer case, and the "sure-grip" rear axle. I am an ASE certified master auto tech, and until 2 weeks ago, was a tech at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer (14 years). I ordered the truck new, and set it up to be what I think is one of the nicest plow trucks out there. It was ordered with Sirius radio, rear defrost window, heated power flip up tow mirrors, plow prep, premium cloth seat, block heater, side airbags (insurance discount), trailer tow, skid plates, fog lamps, Skim anti theft, forged wheels, etc. Lots of options.
    I added a factory 6-disc changer radio unit, alpine door speakers, Mopar remote start with 2-way upgrade, Hell-bent Steel front leveling kit, Putco stainless bed caps, Weatherguard wide toolbox, Westin Steps, Gibson stainless muffler, Airaid Jr. intake, Whelen Responder LIN6 permanent mount roof light, and even more I can't think of right now.

It was set up just prior to this season (receipts to prove that) with new Fisher mounts and wiring, along with a Fishstick handheld controller. Never plowed before this season. It was only used by me, and I'm not one to beat on vehicles. I bought a used Fisher 8' Patriots edition blade assy (here off plowsite) this past fall. Plow can be included, or I'll keep the off-truck assy. Either way wouldn't matter to me.

Under 34000 miles (still driving it). Very well taken care of.

What should I ask for it? It's so tough to tell with this economy.

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you want to have a fair price, NADA, (http://www.nadaguides.com/ is the consumer site). It's prices are from actual car dealers (selling used vehicles) reporting in what they sell vehicle X for.
    In general, Kelly Blue Book (kbb) is overpriced- dealers use it to show you to provide what the car they have is worth, Edmunds low balls- dealers use IT when buying cars or calculating a trade in.
  3. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

pm me a price when you figure out what you want, I have a buddy who is looking for this exact truck and I know he would fly out and pick it up. I believe it would be a cash deal so you wouldnt have the banks to fiddle with.
  4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Was it my plow that you bought? I sold it last fall. Nice rig BTW.
  5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Nah I sold mine in December for 2k a couple days before that first storm that lasted 3 days. Mine was in nice shape. Most of them are just driveway plows. No one would spend extra loot to use comercially. So they kept well
  7. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

I just bought a 2004 2500 quad with the hemi and a full load. It had only 60 000 km on it and paid only $18 500.00 cdn. I too was a mechanic and had similar circumstances with job. I had always wanted to do landscaping and lawn maintenance and decided the lay off was a great opportunity to pursuer it. That was 10 years ago and I have never gone back. i now make 2.5 times what I made as a mechanic. My mechanical back ground saves me huge coin on repairs. We do snow in the winter. Sounds like you have a great plow truck. Ever thought of trying the yard care thing? Maybe you should keep it. Anyway i wish you the best of luck and hope the truck price helps!
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a 2004 with 100 k on it for $8495.00 I would guess that truck is still worth 15-18 k just guessing though
  9. lucky13rme

lucky13rme Member

I'd say ~ 17K
  10. MJD82

MJD82 Member

I know the feeling i've been out of work for 5 months now and I hate to say it but in this economy you wont get what you want for the truck and that sucks. I contemplated getting rid of my Durango but no one is willing to pay what its worth. I would say your truck is in the 17-20K range.