1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats my service worth?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DRIFTER92, Dec 12, 2009.

1. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I have a 9-2 Poly VXT with a Silverado Diesel 3500, 4 Door, Long Bed, Duals. I want commercial lots b/c of terrible turning radius. Ive ran equipment since childhood but this is my first year plowing. I am available at any hour, with response time of an hour or less. No Salt capabilities on the truck. Area is West side Indianapolis. I have no insurance other than full coverage on my truck, the company knows i have a plow for hire. I assume i would work under an insurance umbrella of the contractor? New to the industry but i have been reading the forums for a while now and researched techniques and chatted with experienced plowers. I own my own business that is slow in winter months. Hours are unlimited, Im a hard worker and very reliable, running a business of my own i know the importance of customer satisfaction. I'm just not sure how much $/HR or Fuel+$/HR i am worth. Let me know guys :drinkup:

2. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Sounds like you got a nice reliable set-up, have you ever thought of plowing for a town or do you only want to do lots

3. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Cant say for indiana. But around here we get subs with pickups for $50 an hour

4. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

sounds right...no ins = $50, but I would be skeptical of hiring you

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

a noob with a not so desirable truck set-up .........any over 50 TAKE IT

and you will need a million dollar general liability and commercial auto coverage

6. AIMscapes

AIMscapes Member

In Illinois, you have to have proof of insurance to provide to the contractor so they can claim you as a sub. If they don't have a certificate of insurance from you and they send you a 1099, they may get audited and you should have been considered an hourly employee. I would never trust someone else's insurance. Go spend the money and get your own. I must say that $50 an hour seems really low for that truck. Most guys by me are getting at least that with a 1/2 ton truck and a 7.5' blade. I think you deserve a solid $60- $65 an hour in your area. Out here you would get $75 an hour this year. Last year you may have gotten $80- $85 an hour. Besides, after paying for fuel and insurance, you will probably only pocket about $50 of the $60 an hour. Uncle Sam takes about 30% of your profit if you are sent a 1099. If you don't have any breakdows or accidents, you will clear about $30- $35 an hour. I think you definitely deserve top dollar for putting your $55,000 truck to work. Good luck.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't assume about riding under someone else insurance,get your own, you hit someone you will be sued along with the contractor that hired you.

8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

buy a policy , after all you came this far . shoot for atleast $`100hr.

9. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Screwed up posting. Damn "noob"

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I've got the 1 Mil coverage on insurance, and the insurance company knows i'm plowing. Even being a "noob" Ive ran equipment and have read for the past few months on here. Im a very capable employee. I just wanted ideas on, if this were the setup and insurance, what should i expect in my area? i have read craig's list and seems between the 10 adds here ive seen $35+Fuel, and $50 to $150(which im sure is a much more capable truck/tractor). I was thinking about $60 to 75/hr. Just wanted to see if my take on it was on track. thanks for the posts.

I know im not going to get rich off this but you know its something i have wanted to get for 3 years now and i researched for a few months and decided to make the investment.

As to TommyMac who read all my criteria, i haven't looked into that but that is really something i think would suit me for being in the setup i have. The city/Town could supply a salt spreader since i have a capable truck i would think? I'll have to look into that thanks for the info.