1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what's left?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mike bisbano, Feb 2, 2002.

1. mike bisbano

mike bisbano Junior Member

:confused: I recently got some really good input, concerning the starter problem with my 85 K20. Just to update, this is a 6.6ltr. (400ci) which ran like a clock before all this happened. Here's what happened so far. Two weeks ago, I was plowing a rather large parking lot of wet snow, in 4WL. She was running hot and I stalled. Could't get her started because of the overheat that resulted, and while I was cranking the engine to restart, while hot, it got to the point where nothing would happen when I turned the key. Well, my wife came to my rescue with the Cherokee, and towed me out. Then by popping the clutch in 3rd gear I got it started, and it ran fine. I figured the after driving five or six miles home, that I would be able to shut it off, then start it right back up, but no dice. Since then, I replaced the starter, no dice, checked the fuseable links, (none were blistered or burnt, but I did bypass one, because I must have streched it when replacing the starter, by pulling on it), I checked the continuity of the wires, and everything lights up, except for the purple wire from the solenoid, which has no fuseable link, I just now replaced the ignition switch and still nothing happens when I turn the key to the start position. However, the idiot lights and the turn signals DO light up with the switch in the ON position. Should I just go ahead and bypass the other two fusible links? I hate like heck to tow it to a garage, as I've owned 27 vehicles in my day, and always did my own work, but I'm just about ready to give in. WHAT NEXT GUYS? ANY THOUGHTS? Mike B.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would not permantely bypass anything yet. Use some jumper wires to try different options.

Does the starter work if you just jump the solenoid?

Do you have voltage going into the switch at the right places? Sometimes there are more then one hot lead into an ignition switch.

Check all fuses and links.

I would also suggest getting a wiring diagram. I would bet someone on here may have one they could scan for you.
  3. mike bisbano

to c18fireman, thanks for the tips. I did prmanantly bypas the one link that was damaged.
    The starter spins when I cross it, but when I try to cross the solenoid, I get nothing.
    As far as voltage to the right places. the switch has two multiple connection plugs, so it's connected right, they only go iin one way.
    There doesn't seem to be any fuses for the starter, but there are three links, one of which I've bypassed.
    Chuck's electrical page has a diagram which I have, but it only shows the starter, the terminal block on the firewall, and the ignition switch. Pretty basic diagram, but then it's a pretty basic system.
    The purple wire from the solenoid has no link, by the way.
    Luckily, I'm off work for three weeks, as we just were blessed with a baby boy on Sunday 1/27, so I have time to work on it between helping my wife. But if it snows, ....no plowing. Bummer.
    Mike B.
  4. RTallday

RTallday Member

Just for the heck of it, and to humor me, check your neutral safety switch. Could have gone bad, unless its a 4 speed, then check the clutch switch. Worth a try. Good luck.

5. mike bisbano

to RTallday,

This is a four speed, toploader, no neutral safety switch, and it looks like the clutch safety switch was disconnected long ago, because there are no wires attached to it, and none hanging around near it to plug back in either. Thanks for the tip though. I'm about ready to bite the bullet, swallow my pride, and take it around the corner to the garage for a diagnostic. However, in the meantime keep the ideas coming. Mike B.
  6. RTallday

RTallday Member

BTW, just wanna offer congrats on the birth of your baby boy.

7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Mike: Before you give up see if the two purple wires that use to go to the clutch switch are still "jumpered" together, as they should be if the switch was disconnected. You can feed the one that is going toward the bulkhead connector 12 volts and the starter "should" engage if the wiring is good "going to the solenoid" on the starter. You can also check the inside wiring to that point with your test light or voltmeter by probing the purple wires where they use to connect to the clutch switch and trying the ign switch again. "Keep" us informed.