1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats it worth

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by wls, Aug 11, 2006.

1. wls

wls Senior Member

Dodge truck, body rough shape, w/plow. Says only 28730.0 miles, 440 motor, auto trans. Says runs excellant. what do you think?? What would you offer?? All I know is what is written on for sale sign.

060811051622.JPG

060811051648.JPG

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That thing is a beast. I would say maybe $400-500 if it runs good and drives reasonably. Man, I thought my '88 D150 was ugly, but I bet that will push quite a bit of snow around.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ahhhh, an old smo*commander(W200)

my first plow truck:nod:
    And it's the same color as mine and it looks to be in better shape too!! lol!

There rare to find in a club cab, that is a find!
    It still has the stock- factory installed Meyer plow.
    That 440 should make her snort

He would get more Selling it in the Power Wagon Adviser, some people are collecting trucks like that for parts and to restore.

I would buy it for any thing under 1K and that would be a deal !! what a fun truck to take in to the woods and haul fire wood with. But to use her for your main plow rig would be a lot of work a good back up truck.

There fun trucks to play with, but some thing newer would be more reliable, comfortable, cheeper to run, and easer to plow with.:waving:

4. polplow

polplow Member

I would say about 700-800, but as snofarmer says they are getting to be a collectors item so he may be asking a little more than that.

5. wls

wls Senior Member

There asking 1500.00 OBO

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If your not handy with valve body, IE; rebuilding, tinkering, making your own, then be wary of the valvebodys on these trucks. There prone to cracking around the by-pass relief valve.
    Other than that it's a good setup for a belt driven, manually controlled valve body.
    I have replaced my stock set up with a western power unit with an electronic joy stick.
    I was tired of making parts and patching the valve body back together every time it was used.
    There a strong set up otherwise. I use mine for hauling fire wood, grading my driveway, pushing & pulling small stumps, and dirt all with the plow lol.
    [​IMG]

If you want it for plowing your own house, cabin, or to play with then you might want to look at it other wise get a newer one.
    Let it set for a couple of weeks and offer them $700 and see lol.:waving:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  7. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I don’t know What you guys are smoking BUT @ $1500 run down there and pay the man!!!!

1 Sno commander
    2 Dana 60 rear
    3 Dana 60 Front
    4 when you got a 60/60 you got NP205 transfer case (gear drive)

You could part that thing at that price and make money.
    Dana 60F =$1000
    NP 205 mated =$400
    440 $250-500 depending on how it runs
    727 BB $250 - $500 depending on condition
    Dana 60 rear open $50
    Dana 60 rear anti spin $250
    ebay prices on
    Plow set up Pump $25 controller $25 cylinders $10 each
    Brackets $50 –100
    Blade $50 - $100

8. wls

wls Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking, I just bought a d-60 for a ford, got a steal 850.00

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If you will buy that one for $1500, Boy do I have a deal for you.payup

p.s. that 205 gear drive, is a divorced case, no matting going on here. lol

You have no idea what condition any of the running gear, frame on that 30+ year old Wagon is in.:dizzy:

You could make payments on a new truck with what it's going to take to keep that 440 fed, lol

10. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Umm 75 up nothing was divorced. Np203 was used in half and 3/4 tons np 205 in 3/4 and 1 ton with the 60 front. both are matted if you still want to say a matted np 205 didn't happen then take a look at these the spare for my truck
    http://www.cacuda.com/New Folder/np3.bmp
    http://www.cacuda.com/New Folder/np1.bmp
    http://www.cacuda.com/New Folder/np2.bmp

see them big hubs sticking out on the front axle only 60F had them the 44 and 44HD were flat at the wheel ( guess what they even have disk brakes) 75 to 80. In 81 they went to lockout hubs on both 44 and the 60

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  11. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

the only thing is I would put some warn lockouts on it. the way it is now it will only make verry wide truns, Lockouts it will turn like any other 4x when driving in 2wd you can get the lockouts at most any parts store,

12. wls

wls Senior Member

probably could pick it up alot cheaper, its a Bread distrubution center, and their selling the warehouse. I don't think they want to take the truck to the new p[lace.:)

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Well, RODHALL, I had to go hack and look at the grill to this truck and see what year it was. On the 74's it is an divorced case.
    hummm $1500 or OBO why not make an low offer first?
    It's probably owned by the business that there selling.
    Makes me wonder about maintenance? if any?

WLS, I would not pay any thing over $700 for an old wagon as old plow trucks are abundant this time of year,

Lets start by saying that I'm an MOPAR fan.
    a 31 year old plow truck
    The old dodges are known for there bad electrical wiring, it is brittle, the amp meter draws to much power and starts on fire.
    cheek the floor boards and frame for rust.
    Drive one wheel up on to a rock and take a good look at where the cross-members are riveted to the frame rails for any sign of movement. There known to rust out.

It also looks like she suffers from B,F,E, syndrome (Big, F@#king, Engine) as the front looks low, even with the plow on the ground.
    Cheek the front springs is there any +arch to them any more?

Have you thought about how much this 440 likes to drink gas?
    Every time you push on the gas it will sound like your flushing a toilet..

Like I said, if your not handy rebuilding, building your own (like i did for years) valve body's than this truck is not for you.

Yes, it would make a fun beater, back up truck, a hobby plowing truck, dedicated lot truck, firewood hauler, but I would not use an 30+ year old truck to make a living off. JMO:waving:

It is common for older vehicles to be worth more parted out than whole. That should Tell you that the best years have past this truck bye along time ago..

$700 my best offer, there are more 70's vintage trucks out there. or have the they been crushed.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  14. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

This truck is a late 77 or 78 by grille.
    Yes the 74 had a divorced case, but they also had drum breaks.
    I also a Mopar fan.
    I remember when I was younger and dad was working at small dodge truck dealership I would go to work with him and jump up an down on the seats of Little red express, warlocks, sno fitters, sno commanders, macho power wagons and ramcharges. Dad got a book every year for the trucks he worked (the factory service manual) Latter in the 80’s I worked while in high school, at the same dealership cleaning and detailing cars and trucks. I worked at that dealership until it was sold in November of 89.

it is real common for 318 to get 12 MPG. 440 motor is going to be right close that also

15. bingermann

bingermann Member

If everything works!

If you are not ready to do a certain amount of repairs to the truck then forget it! I plow with old equipment, but am ready for just about anything to happen to my truck, and I have backup prepared if I have a catastrophic failure. If everything works, then offer $1000. Old Meyer Plows are worth 4-5 hundred themselves. So you are paying $500 for the truck. If I was asking a fair price and someone offered me 1/3 of the asking price I would laugh at them, and then kick them in the b*lls for wasting my time.

16. urhstry

urhstry Junior Member

I think everyone should go reread Rodhall's post about its value. I agree, its worth around $1500. To part it out would be much more than that. There is $1500 in rears if you live in the great Northeast like we do. :salute:

17. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Hey Scott
    how have you been?
    :drinkup:

18. urhstry

urhstry Junior Member

Doing well! New baby is fine and I am trying to get my Sno-Commander ready to plow. But I need a plow.:p

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What happend to the plow that came with it?

20. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

That is good to hear

What all you need? I may have extra parts and pieces here.

I know I have had 4 sno commanders over the last 1 11/2 years and only one has had the blade and all the parts. Penndot and MDDOT removes them before they sell the trucks. In this area for people to sell a truck but remove the plow first.