1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's it called? (powered walk behind plow)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Bryansong, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Bryansong

Bryansong Member

I saw a truck and trailer load of these going the opposite direction early one morning and am trying to look them up to learn about them. They are like a walk behind lawn mower only they have a plow in the front. I imagine one of the sponsers here have them but I don't know what they are called.

Can anyone point me to some. Kind of like a snow blower with a blades.

Bryansong

2. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I'm intrigued a bit, subscribing

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think some walk behind mowers can have the deck and front wheels removed and fitted with things like a blade, rotary broom, etc.

4. crazyskier537

crazyskier537 Senior Member
    from NE IL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saNwVW3oS1g

I was really into them for a while...

They are weak, most operate on electric motors. They barely have any power to push the snow, or weight, or traction.

I am building somethign like this in the summer. 6.5hp greyhound engine, couple of beams, and an atv plow on the front. Slower than an atv, but I could argue it may be better. It will have 6 tires and a live axle, and will weigh alot, so no traction problems.

Just telling you my ideas if anyone wants to follow them.:cool:

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

6. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

BCS is another maker, big in Europe. There used to be several tiller mounted for troy-bilt, gravely, etc. Probably could find one on eBay.

7. Bryansong

Bryansong Member

The units I saw were bigger, about the size of a 36 to 42 inch commercial walk behind mower with the deck out front, only with a blade like a bulldozer. Also, a much bigger motor, I'm guessing 8 to 16 HP. (Only guessing because I just got a glimpse but they were parked crossways on the trailer like a commercial lawn service would park.

Bryansong

8. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Like a Simplicity? Looks like a walk behind mower with a 36" blade. My father in law has 1, late 1930's-early 1940's. Thing is an animal, but over 6" and it needs help. Gotta run to stay up with it... Model 14 Briggs n Stratton engine. Think Simplicity stopped in the '60's making 'em. I don't have a picture of it but he still uses it, plus he's got a York rake and sickle bar mower for it. Well made piece of equipment.

9. Bryansong

Bryansong Member

Yes, they looked kind of like that. Here is a closer page so you can see what I am looking for. http://www.turfteq.com/products_plow.html

If you know of different models of this kind of thing I would like to look at them.

10. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

11. Bryansong

Bryansong Member

Thank you Dennis, that looks like a good one. I guess they are called "Sidewalk Snow Plows"

12. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Looking at the guy trying to plow his driveway...I much prefer my snow blower.

13. Bryansong

Bryansong Member

Are you refering to me?

14. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

What you are refering to is a "Two Wheel Tractor" of which there are 40 manufacturers world wide.

BCS and Grillo are the largest builders and seller of the Two Wheel Tractor specificly.
    and can be used the year round as they were designed for the european farmer with steep
    slopes to traverse to harvest hay and grain.

It all depends on your pocket book as they can be used the year round and have both diesel and gas engine power using Both Honda and "Kohler Lmbardini" diesel engines.

The Diesel engines provide the same power value at lower horse power as the same CC displacement gas engines.

The Grillo Line of two wheel tractors has the most available attachments for its use as a two wheel farm tractor.

15. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Could have been a Gravely.......

16. RobE

RobE Junior Member
    from RI

17. sappel138

sappel138 Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  18. Bryansong

Bryansong Member

19. Bryansong

Bryansong Member

If anyone is interested here is a link about 2 wheel tractors from a tractor forum. Maybe I should look into a multi-purpose machine for my home. Currently I have a broken snowblower and roto-tiller, along side a Scag Wildcat, Honda goldwing and camper. All taking up space in my garage. It would be nice to have more room with less items.

Sorry for the rambling, here is the link

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/2-wheeled-tractors/40025-2-wheel-tractors-buying-using.html

20. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Gravely used to make serious 2 wheeled tractors.

Good grip, versatile...use it for plowing, slap on a snowblower attachment, tiller, tank sprayer...whatever you need.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How about this for a sidewalk machine?
    [​IMG]