1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats going on?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Feb 27, 2007.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I have a 1999 new body style 5.3 Chevy truck and my throttle keeps sticking when I try to aceelerate, anyway this happens every now and again (more offten now) and it drives me nuts.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

try lubricating your throttle linkage and the pedal under the dash. And lubricate the area outside of the throttle body where the linkage hooks to it. It could be there is a build up of dirt or carbon on the actual throttle plate and causing your sticking problem. I am not sure though how to exactly go about cleaning that

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very common thing on the 4.8 and the 5.3's. Sydenstricker is right about the carbon build up causing the problem your experiencing, its inside the throttle body on the throttle plate itself where the carbon build up causes the throttle plate to stick closed. Just give it a good cleaning with a spray can of throttle body cleaner. Do not use carburetor cleaner!

4. DJ Contracting

Great

Ok I'll try that tomorrow and hopefully this will help thanks guys.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you disconnect the throttle cable and manually open the throttle at the throttle body, you should be able to feel that it's tight right at the body.

6. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Spray the throttle bore and plate then let it soak for a while. Once its loosened up spray some throttle body cleaner on an old tooth brush, then scrub the throttle body. This will clean it much faster than just trying to spray it clean. You will also use alot less cleaner.

7. DJ Contracting

Cool

Thanks guys I'll let you know later today how it worked.