1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's everyone paying???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

What is everyone paying for bulk salt delivered? I have been getting quotes for bulk salt delivered and I think it seems a little high. The best price I have come up with is $51 a ton. I am located a little over an hour away from the mines and I thought it would be cheaper than that.

Any ideas on who to use, or what you guys pay?

Thanks Bossman

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

3. Bossman 92

Hey thanks, I guess I shouldn't ready the mob!

4. powerjoke

an hour away from the mines???? my salt comes from louisiana for some reason

5. Bossman 92

Mine will come from cleveland. I can be there in a little more than an hour. I just figured it would be cheaper.

Bossman

6. JT Contracting

JT Contracting Junior Member

Mine comes from Kansas, powerjoke have you looked into clearlane, its a little more but it leaves a mag chloride residue that keeps snow from sticking second time around. Last years quote was $89/ton with 25 ton minimum.

7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

It varies widely depending on where youre located. I tell some guys in different parts of the country that I pay $60 a ton and think I got a steal and they fall over at that saying they thought they were paying a lot at $35

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

$64.50 + 8% Pst = $69.66. We buy direct and use between 12 and 1500. My price is for a metric ton (2200 lbs).

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My Price from Canadian is $63.50 and I think Cargill was $1 more. We have found in the past that Cargill had drier material.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We get it from Cargill, don't notice it's much drier but the truck drivers are worth the extra $ and the girls in the office are really nice. We still buy a few loads a year from Canadian to keep are account open. I took over my dad's account which he's had there since 71.

11. The MAG Man

The MAG Man Junior Member

The great salt debacle...

:confused:
    To understand salt pricing, you have to appreciate commodities pricing and the effect that freight costs play balanced against international currencies. Think about it: significantly more than half of the cost of a ton of salt is the cost of getting it to you.

Sound like BS? It's not. Put simply, if we are currently at less than $1 US to $1 Canadian, then the likelihood of buying salt from Canada is low because that currency exchange has dropped nearly 30% in 4 years. So that means that if you're a Canadian selling into the US, you have given a 30% discount on your product on currency rate exchange alone. Add to that the insult of excessive fuel costs and increasingly complicated border crossings and it is an ugly day to be Canadian selling to the US because you are losing your shirt if you sell at the same price as 4 years ago.

Now look at the guy in St. Louis who said his salt comes from LA. That's because you are sitting on one of the most active waterways on the planet; the mighty Mississippi. So your salt is barged up and off loaded locally meaning the cost is very low since a barge can hold a boatload of salt. (pun intended)

Go to someone along the lakes of upstate NY and they are getting a great price on salt because there are still a few mines operating that haven't flooded; their freight costs are low because they are close; and the influence of imported salt from all over the planet is minimal since they are so far from the water. The lakes region buyers are really just beginning to experience fair market pricing because of the sudden reduction of imported pressures on the local producers. Sure the price is higher, but look how long it stayed down relative to everything else you buy?

We are in the Boston area and our salt prices have moved up nearly 40% in the past three years becuase we are fighting a weak US dollar, high ocean freight, and a weak market which means inventory carrying costs are extremely high. Every time it rains, we watch 1% of our inventory wash away! Add to that the fact that much of the inventory on the ground in the Northeast US has been sitting there for almost 12 months and it is expensive to be in the business.

Prices across the Northeast US range from $40/ton to $70/ton depending on where you are, what the quality of the salt is, and where it came from.

Good times for domestic salt producers for sure. Tough times for imported salt. Every dog has his day. Imported salt drove prices into the ground for many years preventing domestic producers from re-investing in their plants and many have pulled the plug and walked away from the mine when something significant happened like flooding. I think you might see some mines try to re-open if currency continues to be challenged.

The silver lining? Well, the silver lining in all of this is that US based manufacturing companies are selling abroad into international markets heavily because going OUT the door buying US products with a Euro is an automatic 30% off. Most currencies are strong against the US dollar which ultimately helps our economy.

Remember: there's never anything so bad that there isn't a little good in it. Brace yourself for SIGNIFICANTLY higher salt prices in coming months and years. It is far from over.
    ;)

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Very informative post Mag Man.

13. Bossman 92

Agreed, nice post.

Bossman

14. powerjoke

Yeah good post but WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR SALT?

15. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

right now its 47 a ton delivered for me, thats international salt, pava does 60 a ton but will send a driver at 3am if they can accomidate it, and the driver dosent dump on top of my tarp haha

ive paid as little as 35 from intl salt, just in pretty large qty's

16. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

$41 a ton delivered by the triaxle load. Can't wait to see how much the price has went up from last year. :dizzy:

17. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

35.80 per ton in St. Louis right off the barges

18. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im paying $32/ton but I pick up. I usually get around 5 ton at a time.