1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's everyone hearing??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by harley hauler, Jan 25, 2004.

1. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

What's everyone hearing for snow fall acc. for the northeast? I've been watching the radar on this storm for two days. National Weather service is calling for moderate snow fall Mon night into Tues a.m. then heavy snow for Tues into wed. The weather channel is only calling for 1-3 possibly (don't like that forecast:mad:) , and channel 7 this morning is saying a possible mix, but if no mix some places could see anywhere from 6 + . So does anybody have any other forecasts.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

heres what nbc30 in CT says.....

Tuesday night and Wednesday:Snow continuing, tapering off by midday Wednesday...significant accumulation of around a foot of snow are possible....this is an early estimate and will be fine-tuned as the storm approaches. This storm is showing signs of developing into something special as far as nor'easters go, so we will continue to analyze the incoming data and give you the most up to date and responsible forecast in Connecticut.

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

seems like evry time I check the forecast, they move the storm further away, originally it was tonight, no all the way out to tuesday, by then it will be next weekend.

Charged the battery on the truck and checked all hydrolics just to be on the safe side if it does ever snow.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

its a big coastal storm thats coming up the east coast. It has plenty of moisture to work with and plenty of cold air. NWS says the snow could go over to a wintery mix south of a line from hartford to providence to plymouth, cape cod and islands mostly rain. I don't see how the mix can happen when most people have the temps in the mid 20's. Possible for six inches or more where no mixing takes place.

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Everyone keeps changing their mind about this storm. They just changed the snowfall amounts for Long Island AGAIN. They are now saying 1-2". My gut is telling me abiout a 6" storm. Guess it's just one of those things that you have to be ready for and just wait looking out your window. :rolleyes:

6. Tim C

Tim C Member

NWS forcast disscution-- areas north of mass. pike some areas as much as 2 feet with fluff factor.. hope ther right *****

payup LET IT SNOW Tim C

7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

2 FEET?!?!?!?!

SWEEETTTTTT!!!!!!!

Just took the truck to McD's with the plow attached so I could remeber what it felt like...2 feet would be good, anything over 12" and the rates go up by 6" incements....cool!!!
    Then again, everything is working great, so it won't snow :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  8. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

pulled from nws

Monday night and Tuesday. Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Then snow likely. Moderate snow accumulations possible. Lows around 9 above. Highs around 18. East winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Tuesday night. Mostly cloudy with snow likely. Brisk. Heavy snow accumulations possible. Lows around 16. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Wednesday. Mostly cloudy with snow showers likely early. Then mostly sunny in the afternoon. Brisk. Light snow accumulations possible. Highs around 20. Chance of snow 70 percent.

9. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

mdb-where did you get that info.

i cant seem to find any storm infor for tues/wed anywhere?

10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

11. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I think I'm going to wait and see what's going to happen. Every one of the forecasters seem to be singing a different tune. For the last storm we had The Weather Channel kept saying 1". We ended up with 4" in Central CT. Southern CT was anywhere from 6 to 8 inches. Hopefully we will see some plow-able snow from this storm.

12. cja1987

NECN says 12" possible form southern nh to central ct dont mention a word about mixing anywhere these are the kind of cold storms that can produce alot of snow with the fluff factor also therre is so much moisture to work with the storm is going to pass around cape cod and start throwing back moisture as it pulls away, if this thing stalls and starts to back in I think most of new england will get at least a foot maybe two.

I will put the plow on tommrrow nightpayup

13. cja1987

look how big this storm is two sources of moisture one from the upper midwest combines with the large area of rain/ice/snow in the south and mid atlantic states. Moisture runs into the cold air in the northeast creates a huge storm with big potential.

neasta.jpg

14. ghostrunner

ghostrunner Member
    from PA

no snow

No snow yet sunday night 4 pm est central PA

15. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I dunno I heard maybe 3-6....I just hope I get some work in.

16. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

In other words a flurry to a foot for us??????????

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...BENNINGTON VT-EASTERN ALBANY NY-EASTERN COLUMBIA NY- EASTERN DUTCHESS NY-EASTERN GREENE NY-EASTERN RENSSELAER NY- EASTERN SCHENECTADY NY-EASTERN ULSTER NY-EASTERN WINDHAM VT- HAMILTON NY-MONTGOMERY NY-NORTHERN BERKSHIRE MA-NORTHERN FULTON NY- NORTHERN HERKIMER NY-NORTHERN LITCHFIELD CT-NORTHERN SARATOGA NY- NORTHERN WARREN NY-NORTHERN WASHINGTON NY-SCHOHARIE NY- SOUTHEAST WARREN NY-SOUTHERN BERKSHIRE MA-SOUTHERN FULTON NY- SOUTHERN HERKIMER NY-SOUTHERN LITCHFIELD CT-SOUTHERN SARATOGA NY- SOUTHERN WASHINGTON NY-WESTERN ALBANY NY-WESTERN COLUMBIA NY- WESTERN DUTCHESS NY-WESTERN GREENE NY-WESTERN RENSSELAER NY- WESTERN SCHENECTADY NY-WESTERN ULSTER NY-WESTERN WINDHAM VT- 300 PM EST SUN JAN 25 2004
    ... INTERIOR EASTERN NEW YORK AND ADJACENT WESTERN NEW ENGLAND MAY HAVE A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL MONDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY...

LOW PRESSURE OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS STATES WILL MOVE INTO THE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY MONDAY AFTERNOON... AND REACH OHIO TUESDAY AFTERNOON. AT THAT TIME A SECOND AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE MID ATLANTIC COAST AND MOVE SLOWLY NORTHEASTWARD.

AN INITIAL BURST OF SNOW WILL MOVE TOWARD THE REGION TONIGHT BUT REMAIN TO OUR SOUTH AND WEST THROUGH MOST OF MONDAY. HOWEVER AS THE STORM APPROACHES... SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION LATE MONDAY WITH SNOW CONTINUING THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT.

THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL... ALTHOUGH A HEAVY SNOWFALL IS NOT A CERTAINTY. THERE IS STILL A QUESTION AS TO HOW FAR NORTH IN NEW YORK AND NEW ENGLAND THE SIGNIFICANT SNOW MAY FALL.

IF YOU ARE PLANING TO TRAVEL LATE MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING... KEEP UP WITH LATEST FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS FROM YOUR NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE....

17. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

NECN just said Northern MA and southern NH including the coast is in the 12"-16" range. :D :D :D

18. Barberry Hill

Barberry Hill Junior Member

Again If You CAN wade the BS Factor

This is as of Sunday night:
    Source:NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
    420 PM EST SUN JAN 25 2004

THE STORY STARTS TO CHANGE ON TUESDAY WHEN THE PRIMARY LOW...AND THE
    UPPER LEVEL TROUGH BEGINS TO APPROACH THE EAST COAST. DURING THE DAY
    ON TUESDAY...WE START TO GET INTO AN AREA OF INCREASING
    UPGLIDE/ISENTROPIC LIFT. WHETHER OR NOT THE UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION
    OR EVAPORATIVE COOLING THAT OCCURS WILL BE ENOUGH TO OFFSET THE
    WARMING OF THE COLUMN INITIALLY FOR THE PRECIPITATION TO FALL AS ALL
    SNOW IS STILL VERY MUCH IN QUESTION. BUT FOR NOW...WILL STAY WITH A
    MIX OF SLEET AND SNOW...EVENTUALLY CHANGING TO ALL SNOW TUESDAY
    NIGHT. AS FOR TIMING OF PRECIPITATION...WENT WILL SLIGHTLY LATER
    TIMING THAN THE MODELS INDICATE FOR NOW...DUE TO THE TREND TOWARD
    SLOWER SOLUTIONS OVER THE PAST SEVERAL RUNS...AND THE NEGATIVE TILT
    TO THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AXIS. AM LOOKING FOR PRECIPITATION TO
    BECOME LIKELY TUESDAY AFTERNOON AS WE GET INTO STRONGER UPGLIDE.
    THEN...THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR A SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION EVENT
    TUESDAY NIGHT...AS A SECONDARY LOW DEVELOPS OFF THE DELMARVA AND
    THEN TRACKS NORTHEAST. DEPENDING ON THE EXACT TRACK...WE COULD GET
    INTO AN AREA OF HEAVY BANDING. PRECIPITATION TYPE WILL ALSO COME
    INTO QUESTION AS THE EXACT POSITION OF THE LOW DEVELOPMENT AND THEN
    ITS TRACK WILL DETERMINE HOW MUCH COLD/WARM AIR MOVES INTO OUR
    REGION. MY FEELING IS THAT WHILE MIXING IS CERTAINLY A POSSIBILITY
    EARLY...WE WILL EVENTUALLY SEE A CHANGEOVER BACK TO ALL SNOW AS LONG
    AS THIS LOW TRACKS TO OUR SOUTH AND EAST...AND THE TRANSFER OF
    ENERGY FROM THE PRIMARY LOW OCCURS SOON ENOUGH. OVER PAST FEW
    WINTERS...WE HAVE SEEN ALL SNOW WHEN PRECIPITATION HAS BEEN HEAVY
    ENOUGH (ESPECIALLY IN BANDING)...EVEN IN MARGINAL SITUATIONS.

WILL HOLD OFF ON A WATCH FOR NOW...AND WILL CONTINUE A WINTER STORM
    OUTLOOK. WANT TO AVOID CONFUSION WITH THE INITIAL LOW AND ASSOCIATED
    LIGHT SNOW VERY LATE TONIGHT INTO MON.

...HIGH PRESSURE STARTS TO BUILD IN BY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

We shall see
    The windsheild supplies the best view.

19. cja1987

necn says over 12" for boston area i think its going to be more. whatever we get i will be ready to go tommrrow afternoon:nod:

20. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Got ready today, even signed a new client that ditched his lowballer just in time!