1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats every one doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Clapper&Company, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Hey guys,

Well i've pulled the plows & spreders out from the back of the shop the other day, and started getting the trucks and plows ready.

So i was just wounding what all you guys do to get your trucks & plows ready for winter?
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a plow truck Friday night. Saturday morning I found one I like better and bought that one, too. I've been looking since July, now I really have to scramble to get it into shape for plowing.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Nothing yet, still mowing and starting fall clean ups. I had to get a new pump and motor for my plow at the very end of last season so I should be good. But still gonna check things over in a couple of weeks. I pulled the salt spreader out and started cleaning it up, flushed out the tranny 2 weeks ago and ordered a new tranny cooler with a 10" fan built in. I think I'm good to go.
  4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

changed the oil in the system

lubed all electricals with dielectric grease

checked all electrical connections

ran the plow up and down back and forth many times-re-check for leaks.

used the skid steer to flatten out the area where the plow sits..put in cement pads for plow/jackpost support. Graded area to the adjacent land and for runoff.

checked most mechanical areas (pins, edge bolts, headlight supports)

Still need to do---

finish checking mechanicals, check lighting height, directionals. Also need to get the plow kit ready...emergency supplies......then cmon white stuff!

We might get snow in the northeast from the upcoming hurricane (ok, I'm dreaming here)...if so, really heavy stuff! :redbounce
  5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

maintence, maintence, maintence.....just trying to catch up with all the wear. Also just got done installing a set of 4.10's and locked the rear axle, posi up front. See how well i can really get stuck. Need a new set of backup lights tooo.
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i just moved in to a new shop. so i need to get it set up and then start going threw all the equipment
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Nothing yet. Got all my accounts lined up though, did that in July.
  8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Nothing yet. Truck is at the body shop being painted. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. Tuesday I plan on pulling the plow out of storage, next weekend I'll probably change the fluid and everything. The following week the truck gets a full service, and all the front end components get a thorough once over.
  9. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

getting ready

put the plow on today and im going to drive it to work to see if the dealership fixed the over heating thing
  10. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Getting excited!

Started this snow plowing thing to help keep the guys busy in the winter. Now I am hiring guys to keep me through the plowing season. Have 1 guy part time doing maintenance on the trucks and equipment. Need a couple more contracts (and a couplle more pieces of equip before I hire someone full time as a Mechanic). Even though we sign seasonal contracts, I'm looking forward to snow. Or even better...ice!payup
  11. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

just got finished putting lights 4 spot lights and a highlighter stobe on my back rack now to get out the plow in the next couple days and change fluid and go over it make sure its up to par.
  12. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

yea we just started getting stuff ready aswell. i need a good two weeks befor i'm 100% ready, plaing on checking / changing all the fuilds this week end. and all that go stuff. i've got some accounts line up, but still working at that.

I need to get routes planed and all that good stuff..

i'm planing on seeing snow with end 30 days or so. Went by ODOT today they have plows on some of there trucks aready.
  13. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Changed the oil and did a physical check. Greesed connectors and put it through the motions. Put a couple bags of sand in the back for now. Called my customers.
    All ready to go. I'll throw more weight in later.
    Only thing left is to get the lawn furniture in. :D Have to have your priorities.