1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats Enough

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WhiteOut2500, Jan 27, 2009.

1. WhiteOut2500

WhiteOut2500 Junior Member

Is it worth losing an account over $5.00 per push? Home owner's reason at looking for a different price was "due to the tough economic time" he needs to save every dollar he can.
    By the way he had just had the $450,000 plus house built.

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

If he wants to save money, Tell him to buy a freaking shovel!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry about it. Thank him and move on ,he may call back in the future.

4. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

i'd drop him. but I don't negotiate on my prices.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

agreed....

6. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I'm surprised you haven't seen this before. These goof balls are a dime a dozen. I hear that at least three times a plowing season. Unless you've got just 5 accounts, drop him, you won't miss him. You'll get another account that'll appreciate your work without pissing and moaning over pennies.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  7. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

Does he have a house for sale sign out front?

8. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

wow $450 k? that would by a tent here!

9. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Had that happen, guy tries for 10 dollars less and I said my price was firm, so he goes for 5 less and I told him good luck and left. lifes too short for that nonsense!! :mad:

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Its probably $200,000 more house than he could afford

That had better be a damn nice tent LOL

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I hate to say it but here in MN it always seems to be the ones that have the money are the ones with the tightest pockets.

12. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

that's true in MA too.

13. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

Is it worth losing an account over $5.00 per push?

What is that in percentage per push?

It may be worth meeting his request if it is a small percentage. Keeping a good account is much better than trying to get a new good account.... the key word is GOOD. Expressing some compassion for this person.... or call it kissing up... may be worth it.

If he tries this again... you know he's stroking you. Times really are tough for most of us. Last season I would not have budged on on any of my prices.

14. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

alot of people are over extended, and as for the rich how do you think they got theyre money

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'd do it for $5 less, as long as it isn't a $20 job...charge him $5 more next year though...

16. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

If you give on $5 now to this guy you can expect to go through it every year.

$5 doesn't seem like much...but it adds up over time.

17. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

IF the homeowner is tight about $5 bucks .... then they probably will not pay. Plowing/shoveling is tough work and even tougher than going to starbucks every morning. If $5 bucks breaks their bank then walk away and let them shovel or sink a butt load into a snow blower.

No way now how is there a good reason to bust tail for less than cost and effort.

18. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

It really depends on your situation. If you don't have that many accounts, and its a $60 dollar driveway, I might go for it. If it is a $35 driveway I wouldn't go for it.

But these people just play hardball and will bull$*** you all day long if they have to, all to save a few bucks. In my mind I would want to tell him if he wants to save money, then get off his can and invest in a shovel to do it himself, lazy bast***.

19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of job do you have to have to afford a $450k house? To him it is 5 minutes worth of work at his indoor, non-labor intesive, salary job.

Yea I know that most of us try to make $60 per hour or $1 a minute, but we aren't doing it for 40 hours a week.