1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats drawing power from my batterys?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Daner, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

This Is the 2nd time i tried to start my truck after a week of sitting...and Its dead as a doornail. So I charged the battery's...and did a load test on them the tests says that they are Good...So next I start to tack off the wires of the pos. terminal...and I get to one wire and theres a small arc...also a clicking sound on the drivers side wheel well...Theres a small box there sounds like a relay of some sort that clicks on and off when I put the small wire on and off of the battery. So My question Is...What Is this little box thats drawing power all the time...It looks like a old style voltage reg....It has a plug with approx 8 wires going Into It.
    I'm stuck on this one Thanks In advance for any Input
  2. You can do a simple test at the fuse pane. Take all fuses out. As you put one fuse in at a time watch for a spark. If you notice a spark on one of the fuses as you install it there is your short. Does your truck start all the time if you drive it daily?

3. TenOfClubs

TenOfClubs Junior Member

best I can tell from your description, and if its the 02 in your signature.....

the box youre referring to is the daytime running light module. They are notorious for failing, and fairly often. Although not all the time, they sometimes fail in a way that draws on the battery continously.

usually when they fail like that, they will be warm to the touch as well. you can buy a replacement at your local stealership, or you can just unplug it, and the lights will function fine without it.

at a later date, some mechanic might fail their inoperativeness (is that a word?) on a safety inspection, so its up to you what road to take.

thats my guess without actually seeing it, or more info..
  4. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I tracked It down

Thought I would let you guys know the outcome of this...I traced It down to the relay box for the darn Plow...They wired it directly to the battery instead of to the ignition swich..
    Ran It back to the dealer and they fixed It up. (It was powering up the 4 light relays all the time even with the truck off)
    Thanks for your thoughts guys
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  5. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

I saw this tread to late to help you but my plow had a direct hot wire (didn't have the right deal for my fuses box to get a switched wire) and if I forgot and left the controller on it would pull it down. I gotter fixed now though...

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

the search feature actually gave me an answer that helped me solve a problem without me making a new thread. thanks!:drinkup:

daytime running light module was a problem... looks like its common

Thanks for starting this thread back in 2007