1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats de-ox?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by atasteofnature, Jan 2, 2009.

1. atasteofnature

atasteofnature Junior Member

Second year plower, first year salter. I plow a hotel and we got a real bad ice storm and they called another company out to salt the lot. I saw the bill from the company and they used a salt/de-ox mix. I was just curious on what that is? Is it some sort of slow release chemical to help keep the ice melting after the salt dissolves? Thank you all for your time and LET IT SNOW!!!

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

de-ox is a chemical that is used in metal treating operations, and in rustproofing applications (one of the choices of products used). As far as being added to bulk salt for anything, this could be something to limit corrosion against doors or something. It sounds like some fancy terminology for "let me charge a premium rate", to me. I see no specific use for this for doing lot applications. I am wondering if water softener salt has anything like this in it.

Here. I found this on this product. What doesn't make sense here, is that the freezing point of this is no lower than salt and water mix anticipated for lot and road treatment.
    http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/n/deoxidizer-lnc.pdf

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. atasteofnature

atasteofnature Junior Member

Thank you for that link, it was very informative.