1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats better

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by westernboy16, Nov 21, 2005.

1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

whats better for a 1996-2000 dodge ram 2500 the 5.9 gas the 5.9 diesel or the v10 for plowing residental and some commercial lots i would like the 5.9 gas cause the price of gas is $2.01 here in minnesota and diesel is $2.79 what are your recomindations and if a boss or western straight blade or vee

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

ok...for the 6th time...its "diesel" and the gas 5.9 is more then plenty of power for plowing. the DIESEL is the way to go if you're going to be towing heavy loads, but if you're not its a waste of money.

3. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

ok i will fix it if it makes yall happy

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you like apples eat a apple, if you like the 5.9 360 then get the 360.
    O.K. next.....

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yeah, that's abou t the sixe of it Snofarmer. V10 is an over powered gas eater- waste for almost everything except bragging rights- the diesel is more effecitne, more powerful, and longer living. The 360 is a gas hog too, but many prefer gassers. Diesel is $2.70 here too, but at 16mpg diesel with all the power I could ever dream about AND a 300,000 to 400,000 mile to rebuild engine the truck will be all bondo and bailing wire before I need to do anything to my engine. Keep in mind the 360 is only good for about 16mph at best- and I mean downhill with a tailwind while the diesel with the 4.10 rears is comporable get one with 3.56 rears and you'll get 24mpg!

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I get an average of 10 to 13mpg max in the two I have, but when I go down a big hill I can get 99mpg lol:waving:

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

:dizzy: ROFL:D

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, but.....

what are you getting to get UP that big hill???!!??!!?? :nod: :D

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I get right around :cry: mpg going up that hill!!! LOL!!

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My CTD with the 4.10's get's 16 down hill, uphill, and on the highway. Just for comparison