1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's better...SCOOPS or WINGS ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NJ Plowman, Dec 2, 2005.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have never used either, but from hearing all you guys rant and rave about wings and scoops I might try a pair on one of my trucks to see if we like them.

Which one is best for big open lots, scoops or wings?

We do alot of small tight area's and I know I will have to remove them to plow these area's, but then the truck will do a few big open lots and that is where you all say the scoops or wings will cut our plowing time by 30%. I know there are alot of threads on either scoops or wings, but what are best if you can only have one or the other?

Thanks guys for your input. I need to make a decision soon...the white stuff is coming...:drinkup:

2. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

The scoops will work fine in the small tight areas, they don't add any extra width to the plow, so they won't have to be taken off. On the wide open areas I think that the wings would be better, you really can't windrow with the scoops, they are made to make the plow into a box pusher more or less. The scoops do help the plow keep everything contained, you don't have much spill off from them. Can't tell you about the wings, I haven't used them. If I had another straight blade, I would certainly buy the scoops again.

John

3. little pat

little pat Member

I have never used scoops but from what I have seen, they would be great in confined areas and around curbing. Wings are great for moving maximum amounts os snow but they don't hold up well to impacts so when scrapping curbs I remove the wing on the side of the curb.

4. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

We have a Western Pro Plus 7.5 with wings. As far as the scoops go I don't know. The wings actually make my plowing alot faster. The only thing that I have had problems with is the rubber flapper on the bottom. Its 1 1/4" thick. You wouldn't think it could rip but they do when you get to close to curbs. When that happens they are alittle spendy, (80.00) each here. I went through 3 last winter. But all in all, one of my wiser investments..:cool:

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Pro-wings will save lots of time, sometimes the added width is nice, other times it can be tough, but they are easily removable.

If you rework them a little bit ( add some bracing to the to keep them from bending so easily) then they are great. The Western wings are the best design, they angle forward 30°, which is the same as the Blizzard Power plow. Great for windrowing, you can take almost a full blade each time without having to worry about spilloff. Best $200 I ever spent :)

6. genrock

genrock Member

I saw a side mounted blad that is anchored to the bed of the truck and hinged just behind the cab and has a stabalizer bar that hooks to the ball of your rear bumper. Does anyone know what this is and where it can be purchased. It acts as a second wing that actually doubles the size of your plow nice for long road work but I cant seem to find the site I found it at before. They had a nice video on it and everything now too me that would be the best thing to finish lots quickly.

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member