1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats best!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Jan 4, 2005.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i am here in kentucky down here we always have bad ice under the snow . plows work fine for snow but play hell with ice . i am looking to buy a big loader to help scrape the ice away when needed. i am looking at a cat 920 4x4 with a 3.5 yard bucket will this do alot better than a plow on a truck please let me know i need to close the deal soon thanks george
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Boy George!

Do you really want to hurt me? :p
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You might want to look at Blizzard plows because they have a very aggressive attack angle on the blade. Mine cleans down to bare better than anything else I have used. You also can get one for a bobcat and they can be adapted for loaders and tractors. Just a thought.
  4. baddboygeorge

i want something that is gonna be quick an to the point . i use meyers blades on my trucks but they cant handle the ice an when they do they spring foward doing nothing but making noise . i could use a big loader but i dont want to waste my money if it isnt gonna do the job . please if anyone uses big loaders like these please give me your input on how they work scraping ice thanks george
  5. Bolts Indus.

The loader will most definately do the job but I think you will be in for a lot of asphalt/concrete damage.
    I do not mean to trash your plow but Blizzard will scrape better. I would make a light run of salt/de-icer wait for a while and plow with a heavy plow with an aggressive attack angle. Just trying to help.
  6. baddboygeorge

bolts indus.

we get mad ice here this last time we had 5 inches of it . it was laughing at my plow . i salted it heavy but with the temps in the single digits that salt was a waste. if blizzard plows are that aggressive how does a truck manage to push them . the ice i was getting into was doing a number on our trucks . i just need a machine that will get this job done an one that wont ***** foot around with it . i do alot of hospitals an these type of clietele doesnt want there parking lots abit icey.thanks for the input
  7. Bolts Indus.

Well I wasn't thinking 5" of ice. Never seen that here, yet. Perhaps the loader is the answer, but I would back drag with it. They can tear up asphalt pretty fast.
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

a small road grader might be better at scraping the ice up. but like bolts said if you arnt carefull you will be doing alot of repairs in the spring.
  9. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

A local excavating company has roughly ten cat and komatsu loaders ranging from a Cat 928 W/ 12 foot Balderson plow to a Komatsu WA450 5-6 yard loader that has a 18 foot avalance box scape on it. Essentially the majority of property res/commercal owners know people are running chains, and will scarape and scar the asphalt. I watch loaders 20-25 K machines scape ice with their front tires off the ground all the time. Is he getting the job done- - of course, is he marking -up the asphalt- - more then likely. Snow plowing, ice scraping is a compromise- - but would you rather get sued when the ambulance or a doctor slips or the ice???

My vote is for the biggest (with in reason ) loader you can afford.

10. skidsteerloader

skidsteerloader Junior Member

Ive used my skidsteer in the past for your type of situation. Works great with forks attached. Also you can get the angle of the buckett just right by raising the boom and tilting the buckett forward and then go to town. Worked great on 2" of ice. 5" may be another story?
  11. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We have a number of loaders and I don't have one that would scrape off 5 inches of ice, 2 or 3 maybe but not 5. Use salt first to soften it up and then maybe try scraping. Do you need a loader all the time? If not there must be someone you can rent one from..maintaining them is not cheap if you don't have a need for it all year round.
  12. baddboygeorge

thanks to all!!

well i have made up my mind i am buying that 920 cat an see how that baby does for snow an ice . also i will be using as yard loader as well for mulch , rock ,pallets etc. i think all in all it will come in handy . besides no one around here has a big loader for snow removal , lots of skid steers but no big massive loaders. thanks for all the input i really appreciate the helpful comments. like they say when all else fails ask the pros!! . again thanks to all sincerely george phillips