1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats an appropriate late fee?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernsweeper, May 10, 2011.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I have an account that owes me several thousand dollars from January. They have a 60 day payment policy, so it became overdue on April 1st. They told me to send an invoice for late fees because I still haven't gotten paid. As of today,they are 40 days overdue. Is there a standard amount for late fees?

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

work it out as a percentage, per day, there are usually rules about how much you can charge for late penalties, and they are state/province regulated usually.

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Are they a NSP? Who tells you they pay in 60 days?
    At the latest I have net 30 terms, not that people don't pay late.

4. northernsweeper

Thanks for the response you guys. NO..they are not an NSP, learned my lesson there. They are a national chain and are excellent customers. Only time in 3 years they have been late. Was told emailed invoices were mis-routed then re-routed. I wouldn't much care normally, but it came at a bad time for me financially, and I would like to give them some incentive to not do it again. I offered to pay overnite fees to get it, but they said it has to go through their process. Was told they are very happy with my work and that I should invoice them for late fees. They said fair is fair and it wouldn't effect our relationship. Do you charge say 1.5% on the overdue amount per month,day,week? I told them, I didn't want late fees, just wanted my check......whatever??

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

1.5% per month is statutory in MN, last I checked, unless you have another amount specified in your contract. 1.5% (18% apr) is pretty dang low IMO, my late fees are substantially higher in my contracts. Customers need to know we're not a bank. My dad always told me, never be afraid to ask for your money, it's your money. payup

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Tell them you'll waive the late fees (but want your check) if they sign a multi year deal with a late fee clause added of course

7. northernsweeper

I have tried the multi year with them but they are strictly a year by year. Would have definitely traded a multi year for the late fee:drinkup:

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Statements should be sent out every 30 days min. (With a late fee added) Mines 2.4%/mth which I consider cheap. If they're late more than 3 times a year I don't consider renewal unless they've given me a heads up.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

1.5% legal max here to, but I charge $5 late processing for having to do that which is also legal here, 30 days net here too.

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I charge $25 after 30 days. I usually don't apply this until it hits 45 days. After that it 1.5%. My invoices are due in 15 days though as said I don't consider them late until 30 and charge after 45. In this day of online banking etc there is no reason a person or company cannot issue checks faster. Their antiquated business model is no excuse. Don't let them push you around.