1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats a good sm pickup?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mlc4163, Jan 28, 2003.

1. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

Thinking of getting a small pickup, pre-owned, to do cleanup work.
    Is there a model that is a no-brain. I mean one I can't go wrong with. Surely there must be a couple trucks that hold up good to some light plowing.
    P.S. Identifying the real "turds to avoid" is just as valuable to me!
    Thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would recommend an S-10 or S-15.Lots of them out there,parts are cheap,and easy to fix.Lots of plows for them too.

3. cclllc

cclllc Junior Member
    from tn

I have an older s-10 2 wheel drive.Is it strong enough for plowing drives? It has a 2.8 six cyl. and a 5 speed tranny. And if so how big and what kind of plow? I know 4 x4 's are better but I really don't need the added expense of one if I can help it.

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Personally I like the old jeep cj's. They make great little plow trucks. If I had to go with a small pick-up I'd probably get a mid 90's Dodge dakota.

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I would never even think about plowing with a two wheel drive truck unless it was a dually.

6. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I have a S-10 with a western 6 1/2' plow that i use for driveways and have been happy with the way it works.

Also we have a Dodge Dakota that we use with a western 7' plow on it. That works good too.

Both have their good points and their bad.

The chevy blew it's tranfer case this year after 4years of plowing but other than that I've had no problems with it.

The dodge has eaten both front wheel bearing in just this winter. But the truck wasn't mainained that well before (it's my brothers truck)so I'm not sure how much the weight of the plow had to due with that.

I prefer the chevy thou. Seems to have alot more snot( even thou the motors aren't that much different in size).

Dan

7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

You could do a lot worse than an S-10 or the GMC version, S-15. They are identical other than emblems.

The two I'm running are the older versions which I think ended in 93 or 94. You want the 4.3 engine, 4 speed automatic transmission, (TH700R4) and the deepest axle reduction you can get. most of them came with 3.42 ro close to that. I'd love 3.73 or 4.10 gears, the 4.3 has grunt enough to do the job with the taller gears but lower gearing would be nice occasionally.

Only weak points seem to be the front differential mounts, with the lower left one being the worst. That point wants to keep loosening the mounting bolt and that lets things hammer until they come apart. Other place to watch is the frame where it goes over the front axle. Hard pushing flexes it and it will develop cracks across the bottom and up the sides. Not hard to fix, and my experience has been that once they are welded up and a reinforcing plate added they don't bother again.

Personal preference in plows runs to Sno-Way and I'd run nothing smaller than 7' from them. I'm running 8' on both of ours, no problems pushing that much blade and these are both primary trucks in our operation.

8. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i own a s10 zr2 and we love it goes every were

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I own a 1989 Toyota pickup 4 cylinders with 6.5' Fisher snowplow. It is a good half ton truck for residential plowing and is great in tight spots. Easy to manuever.

10. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

S10 with 6.5' western SUV plow.

4.3 AT 4X4

s10 plow n spreader.jpg

11. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Hey SGF what kinda spreader is on the back of that S-10, Nice looking truck by the way.;)

12. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Grotech.

Western bought them out, and it's now the 1000-2000 spreader.

13. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

Thought I'd see more Nissons and Toyotas.

Kinda surprised with all the S10's.
    Hey, fine with me as long as they hold up.
    Thanks for the help.

14. nben

nben Senior Member

I used to have an S-10 with a 7' Fisher. It was a great truck and could really move some snow! Excellent for those small drives and condos. Overall it held up well, and sometimes I wish I still had it instead of my 2500.:D

15. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Here's my S-10 , the pic is from last year
    1997 ZR2 4.3 auto tranny with power everything. truck only has 60,000 miles on it

truck and plow.jpg

16. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Just a thought but what would you think of an s10 shortbox with a 7' plow and a sidewing? Would this be a feasible general purpose plow weapon? Good for small drives and medium size lots? I have been toying with this thought since I saw Sidewings European web site.

17. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

Really like this version of the S10. Must be a nice driveway truck with a good turning radius. Damn shame that Chevy/GMC discontinued making the regular cab in 4x4 last year. Would have bought a new one but alas they were not available.

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

While the wing idea may work,I think it would reduce the manueverabilty of the truck for doing smaller stuff,,like driveways,etc,unless you took the wing off.I think the S10 might have a hard time with the wing,but you don't know till ya try.If you were going to go that far I'd just go to a bigger truck.

19. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Hey Dan, how about a pic with the back plow on?

20. DanG

DanG Senior Member

SGF,
    I'll have to go take one. :)

I found another one like mine 1995 thou & blue with 100,000+ miles on it for 3K or b/o it also has power everything & 4.3 auto tranny

TMC,

I believe you can still get it with a regular cab and not just a extended one.

Dan