1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats a good setup for me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by junior496, Nov 27, 2006.

1. junior496

junior496 Junior Member
    from indiana

i have a 1/2 ton sierra with a 5.3 vortec. what would be the ideal plow for me to do commercial, or should i trade it in on a 3/4 ton HD

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

What year is the truck? And if you plan on doing alot of commercial plowing, I would recommend a 3/4 ton. Alot depends on the year, and other factors such as extended cab or regular cab, etc.;)

3. junior496

junior496 Junior Member
    from indiana

its an 01 with extended cab

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Any 8 foot plow will do fine.

Understand....that goes against the common thinking here but a 1/2 ton will do fine.

Just add the same weight in ballast behind the rear wheel tubs as the entore plow unit weighs...or a little better. Sandbags.

Is a 3/4 ton or 1 ton better?

Yes.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I plowed with a 8' Western on a 2003 1/2 ton. I loved it. Plow on my friend payup

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher installers will stay conservative for weights and often put 7.5's on a 1/2 ton, 8' and 8.5' plows on 3/4 tons. I see a lot of 8' Fishers on 1-ton pickups, and you'll see a lot of 1-ton Ford pickups, and why not? Heavier chassis to handle loads, and not much more expensive.

All that being said, I ran 1/2 ton trucks for many years doing commercial level work, but it wears. Good luck, and let us know what you decide