1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats a good primer and paint for plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cgillispn, Oct 18, 2004.

1. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

I'm getting my 8' fisher sandblasted. What is a good primer and paint to use? I'm planning on spraying it
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i would use the por-15 hardnose paint and por-15 as the primer. that stuff is amazing! hard, slick and last forever!
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

If you don't want to go and get a second mortgage for materials, Give it a good coating of Yellow Zinc Cromate primer and then a good coat of Rust-Oleum's equipment and tractor paint.
    Very good to excellent coverage and shine, and holds up great!
    I'm sure any other quality equipment coating would work and hold up just as well.
    :rolleyes: John...................
  4. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Plymouth is a good hike from Hampton NH but there is a guy here who will blast and paint it with the real Fisher paint for 250.00 for an 8 footer. Right now he is a week out so you would have to make 2 trips unfortunately. The place is called Berts Radiators, 603-964-7486. It's right on route 1 in North Hampton NH, about 50-60 minutes north of Boston. Good luck whichever way you go.
  5. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

how much paint do you think it will take to prime and to paint? Also, por 15 doesnt seem to have a yellow judging by their website.
  6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

hudred bucks at most i would think for all your por materials.

they do have a yellow. it might not be the exact yellow. its more of a cat/ john deere yellow. look in their hard nosed paints. i think its like 30bucks for a gallon of por15. maybe 30 more for some metal ready and the degresser, and maybe 20 for a qaurt of paint. would think it would be more then a quart plus the por is black so you could just leve the frame por.
  7. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Two years ago I painted my plow with Sikkens Autocryl single stage urethane. It is a 3 step paint. It requires the paint, a hardener, and a reducer. It has high isocyanate content so a respirator is required. I didn't have to pay for it, I just did some plowing at work and things were ok. It's expensive but it held up like iron for 2 years. I had a couple spots this season where it was starting to peel off from pushing parking lot fodder.

This year I had to buy paint. I used UTEC brand urethane paint. It is a Sikkens second line paint. My supplier says they are phasing out the Autocryl line of paint. It is a 2 step paint, paint and hardener. It also has isocyanates so a respirator is a must. I'm sure it was a lot cheaper than the Autocryl.

I have right at $100.00 in materials. A quart of paint and the hardener was about $70 and the sealer was right at $30. I bought the sealer at my work, we spray the same paint I bought at my supplier.

I used a product called "Phix" on the rust. It puts on some kind of coating that is suppose to neutralize the rust. It was only $10.00, cant hurt.

I used just a little less than a quart of paint and a pint of sealer on my 7 1/2 foot plow. I sprayed it in the drive behind my house one nice Saturday a few weeks back. It turned out pretty well.

We'll see how it holds up if it snows.....
    Mark k
  8. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

When i needed to touch up my plow the guy at the fisher place told me Rust-Oleum yellow is very close to the original fisher yellow paint and a hell of a lot cheaper.
  9. North Country

North Country Senior Member

If you paint a lot of equipment or paint every year it can get expensive, so I had a local paint shop shoot a dry Fisher swatch and I mix about a quart of Fisher to a gallon of custom mix.

It works well and is a heck of a lot cheaper. If you use the custom mix only it is usually a little more yellow than Fisher yellow.

We use Rustoleum rusty metal primer or a rust inhibitor first. - michael