1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats a good combo push spreader? salt and fert

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by maelawncare, Feb 19, 2009.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well my Andersons spreader has finally bit the dust and im looking for a new one.

But i dont want to buy over $1000 in 2 different push spreaders. So whats the best one to use for both salt and spreading fertilizer. I was thinking spyker but i have never used one. And i heard now that the lescos are being built in china that they have really went down hill.

2. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

Are you talking rock salt or calcium, mag, or potassium? We use Lesco (now John Deer Landscapes). We have used these for 13 years for cal, mag, and potassium. Rock salt doesn't go though them that well. I have noticed that the plastic used for the hopper is different that years past and breaks pretty easy if you drop it on the hopper itself, otherwise they are still great (and IMO the best) spreaders. Just don't drop them. I'm talking about the stainless obviously.

3. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I have 2 earthways. Both were less than 300 dollars.. One is designed for fert- C22HD- and works ok with rock salt as long as its not too course. We spread at least 2 pallets of powerthaw through it this year. One is a High Output 2130 which is made for ice melt and rocksalt but wont work for fert or seed. I have 2 spykers and they are both cable operated and I will never buy another cable unit. The solid linkage is no maintenance and has never failed for us yet.