1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats a good BIG plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mackman, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

As all of you know i just bought a tri/axle dump. I want to get some prices on 11ft fixed right angle plows and a tailgate spreader. I have driven alot of tri/axle plow trucks but never really looked at the plow set-up. But now that i might be buying one i would like to get every ones 2cents who knows anything about big boy plows.

I was looking at the Monrows. There is a dealer about 35mins from me. They seem like a good plow. But i really don't know much about these types of plows. This will be my 1st time buying one.

Also what would be a ballpark price for the total set-up brand new plow and spreader install. I hear people say 14-18,000. Thanks
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why limit yourself. Go with a 10 Boss v plow!
  3. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Well i will be plowing major highways like 6-8 lanes for penndot. So a V-plow will be useless when your in a plow train and everything goes to the right anyway. Plus i think penndot wants you to have an 11footer. Not 100% sure. I will be getting more info about what penndot needs.
  4. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

Mackman sick new truck, are you going to be using the mack instead of the f350 this winter. Also great vids as i am possibly purchasing a polycaster .
  5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Look into the viking plows. I dont know much about there new stuff, but I know there older plows used to stand up fairly well.
  6. Mackman

from S.E. PA

My dad will be in my f-350 plowing for the township i plow for now. I will be in the Mack. If i have enough funds for the plow for the mack lol. I know i have to have everything ready by a certain date cuz you have to go to penndot to get your spreader calibrated.

As far as the polycaster goes let me know if you have any questions will be more then happy to help you out.
  7. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Will look into viking thanks
  8. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

the mack would look sick with fisher plow and tornado in the back lol

look here Tenco Snow Plows there based out of new England

talk to plow chaser on here hes addicted to big snow plows.
  9. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

my DPW is purchasing Monroe and they are pretty nice plows. I'd get one If I had a Mack.
  10. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Oh great another penndot guy.

Which highway do you think you will be plowing?
  11. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Dont know. I plowed for 3 years 1 with roadcon and 2 with greenhall trucking. 1 year i did rt 202 from the delaware line to the chester county line. Then the other 2 years i did. Rt1 from the chester county line to the media line. I dunno where penndot would put me.

Once i get a price and if i think i can afford the set-up for my truck then i will call penndot to find more info out.
  12. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Should be a sweat deal if you can come up with the money.

I must have missed the thread about your newish truck do you have a link to it?

Oh and If you have any accounts you want to give up to a rookie I'll give them a shot. But it seems like your pertty well set up and in souther chester county.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Monroe makes a good plow. What is the GVW of the truck.

All you Boss Vee guys; This truck would twist a Vee in to a pretzel, I'm guessing he's four times the GVW they are designed for. Although a vee would be handy for doing driveways:laughing:
  14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

15. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

First choice would be Viking, second choice would be Henderson. This is coming from 25+ years of highway plowing in the snowbelt. If you are looking at used stuff find a Frink or a Viking, the 2 best plows ever built.
  16. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

17. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

That plow has been on there since the middle of winter and he is looking for a straight blade.
  18. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You should get that plow that is on that trailer, plus a belly plow and a 10' boss with one wing on the left. Pay boss to design a belly plow just so you can get a coue things that say boss!
  19. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

I'm on board with the Viking plows. They've been around a long time and have great products. I'm not too familiar with the Monroe's. I'm sure no matter who you go with, you wont get junk, but I've seen Viking plows outlast the trucks they were on. I'm sure you can get a used one way pretty cheap too.

Look into Valk too, they've been supplying PennDOT for ages and if you have a Granite, I'm sure it would be similar to their setups.
  20. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

yea that's good idea get big tow plow lol