1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's a fair price???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moyer Lawn Care, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Moyer Lawn Care

Moyer Lawn Care Junior Member

This will be my first year plowing snow and I just bought a Boss plow. I was wondering what's a fair price too charge for residental and commercial accounts?? Some ballpark figures would help out greatly! Thanks.

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

First off let me say welcome to plowsite.
    In answer to your question there are many variables involved with the "fair price" of any particular plowing job.
    Different areas will support different pricing structures.
    There are many ways to charge a couple of which are per push and seasonal contract.
    Do a search on pricing or bidding and you should find some very good information as there have been many discussions on these subjects.
    Some things to consider about your first year are: Do you have proper insurance? Have you considered joining an association such as SIMA the Snow and Ice Management Assoc. www.sima.org
    There is a good bit of information you can find there.
    Have a safe and good first year, I hope I've pointed you in the right direction to get your questions answered.

Bruce

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

One thing to remember is that prices vary from area to area. I know the average around me and that the prices change according to average amounts and terrain. I would suspect and I could be wrong that a place like Erie, PA or the mountains of Vermont may have different prices because of amounts and the amount of competition. If you go south where snowfall is less common and there are less plows on the road that will affect price as well.

I wouls suggest talking to some of the larger snow removal contractors in your area. Ask them what the averages are. Most should help you. I like to think I help others out and that they will not turn around and bite me for it.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You might also try just asking a couple of people what they pay to have their drive plowed. You could at least get an idea from that. Did you have someone plow your drive last year? Did you think that was too much/little etc? Pay attn to areas where you would have to plow around or backdrag and charge accordingly.

5. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

pricing / trigger

Welcome to plowsite.com, am new to it myself. read and looked a lot before I posted, keep looking & reading you'll pick up a lot of goot information here.

Being from Indiana also, I have sent you an e-mail with some ideas, & hints that will hopefully be of help to you.

Rick

ready to plow

6. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Same here bud!

Hey guys. I just got off the phone and now am soon to own a boss plow. I am from indiana also and don't know what I should charge around here. I do green work in the summer and added white work to keep the cash flow going. Thanks for any help. joe

7. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn Member

For residential plowing; with 3"-4" regular accumulations, and minimal trim work, ie: snowblowing, shoveling, our plowing charge is about the same as the customer's mowing charge. There have been some exceptions to that rule but that has been a good formula most of the time.
    For commercial plowing, we charge hourly.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Why do you charge per hour for commercial plowing? Unless you are getting between 100-150.00 per hour for a truck with a 8'-9' plow you are giving your work away.
    Dino

9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

In principle, plowing hourly is counter-productive. And most areas, you need to get $100+ per truck/hour to be profitable.

But in areas where you plow 4-500 hours per winter, you obviously can charge much less and still be lucrative.

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

Your own situation also effects the price that you charge. For example, I am employed full time and I make decent (not great) money. Since I do not depend on snowplowing to survive, I can be picky on who I plow for, and I can afford to charge more because I don't mind if they say "No, You're too expensive", when they say this is frees up time that I can spend with my family and frees me up to plow for people who will spend top $ for plowing. Also in my situation, I do not want more than 6-7 regular customers at one time. If they ask if I will charge less, if I am at home in my sweatsuit settling in for the night my answer is "NO!", but if I am in my truck and plowing for the person accross the street and they ask if I can do better I will ask them "what do you think is fair?" sometimes I will come down, sometimes I won't. If I decide to make plowing my primary winter income, then I will probably reduce my price (slightly), remember if you plow for people who can't afford to pay your customary rate, they may not be able to afford to pay you at all.