1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats a fair price?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by diesellandscape, Nov 16, 2010.

1. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

Whats a fair price for putting 3000 lbs of salt?
    The lot is pretty wide open.
    Salt around here is avg. $103/ton with tax

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I would say about $75

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Probably around $300-400 depending on your area...

4. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

With a 3X mark up it comes out to around $480. There is 16 ounces in a lbs so 3000x16=48,000 ounces. Then $154.50 your cost/48,000=.003x3 = .01x48,000 ounces =$480.00. The reason I use a 3 times mark up is because that accounts for labor, time and wear and tear

5. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

$145-$165 per ton I would say.

Are you buying it for $103 per ton + tax? Sounds a little high but in that case I would say about $200 per ton, so around $300+ for 1.5 tons

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's quite the formula you have there.

7. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

That's the same math i use to figure plate cost at work. It's the same theory really. You determine your price per lowest unit of measurement and get your cost. The 3x multiple covers your costs for vehicle expenses etc

8. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

In that case I would use grains for the unit of measure. It's the only way to be sure.

But seriously, use the unit of measure you're actually going to measure. If you weigh your salt use in pounds it makes no sense to complicate matters and break it down to ounces. If I buy a 50lb bag and use half of it, I figure I have 25 pounds, not 400 ounces. Pounds is so much easier to work with seeing as how we are buying in pounds, not ounces. These aren't steaks.

9. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

I'm charging 295... Usually I just double my price on the amount of salt I plan on using.

10. Pro Lawn Care

Pro Lawn Care Member

+1 but I come in at $315 salt is a little more $$ here.

11. TDR Plow

TDR Plow Junior Member

Most guys around me use the double rule.