1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats a fair price for this

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BillyRgn8, Jan 22, 2005.

1. BillyRgn8

BillyRgn8 Junior Member

heres the situation a buddy of mines company may be wanting to employ me to do the sidewalks at there commmerical accounts and the have alot including 2 schools. heres the deal, what do you think a fair hourly wage would be for me to charge>? i would be using all of my equipment, including truck and workers. equiptment would be a toro 10hp 28 inch snow blower, a 3 hp paddle blower, nessacary shovels, me , a worker who i am paying 15 an hour, and possibly more workers depending on our time frame to get it done, my gas, and diesel for the truck which is a 98 Gmc 2500 6.5l turbo diesel - no plow. i was thinking about 80 per hour, any body got a price ?
  2. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Sounds ok......figure your costs & try to get a decent profit % after expenses.
  3. divihydroseed

divihydroseed Junior Member

As a snowplowing contractor, I've done it and I can say walk shoveling sucks. I would be willing to pay whatevery I needed (within reason) to get the walks cleared by someone who will show up every storm, and that I wouldn't have to worry about not showing up one storm or another.

Right now I'm considering hiring people at $25. or $30. dollars an hour to shovel - with no snowblowers. I've considered using temporary labor, but it would require more aggrevation than I need. So I think $40. an hour, per person with equipment - for reliable people I don't have to chase around be a bargain. The only thing I can say is that if the person already bid on the job, it may be too much as there locked into a price.

As for me, I'm going to bid $40. an hour for walks next season - and if it's too much for the client, so be it. I have to pay someone because I'm not going to do it.

Something to keep in mind, as a small contractor (30 residential / 5 commercial) - I would love to outsouce my walkways. If you can find a way to do it efficiently and market it to companies, you've got yourself a goldmine. My advice - think outside the box and call around to big companies - you could be in for a windfall next season. Best of luck!!