1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's a Fair Price for Running a Loader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mojob, Jan 6, 2007.

1. mojob

mojob Member

I had to rent a frontend loader to move some snow around at this apartment complex that I do. What is the average cost to the customer for this service? Is this usually about the same rate as your 8' plow or maybe a little cheaper since you don't have to figure in cost of maintenance/replacement?
  2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

What size loader?

I charge anywheres from 130 per hr for something tiny to $250 for a big boy...

I was charging $160 for my skid and blower....
  3. mojob

mojob Member

It was a JD 110 with a 15 cuft bucket.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

If it's a rental, figure what it cost s to rent per month, then add on whatever you need an hour on top of it. If it's too high for them tough, they are the ones who want the loader to move snow.
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Around here you 'd get around a thousand , maybe thirteen hundred for a day. Figure your rental, delivery, an operator and fuel and then you're probably still only making a few hundred dollars. If you do the math I think you'll find it costs you more to run that loader than it does to run a plow truck. Say you rented it for 8 hrs. and paid 50 per hour and delivery which had to cost at least 80 bucks then add the operator, say 30 per hour plus fuel, probably around 10 per hour while working and it's costing you 100 per hour to run that machine. I'd think a truck is cheaper to operate that that. Figure fuel, operator , rental and delivery then see where you are, add in your profit and you have your rate. Don't forget this is an additional service, over and above your normal scope of work and you should charge accordingly. Don't forget you are going through unussual weather now and things are extreme, and you will likely not have this weather pattern all winter and certainly not every year, sometimes you eat the bear sometimes the bear eats you. We are having a ridiculous winter so far here, i wish I had your problems.....LOL......Good luck.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

We usually get around $130/hour for a small/mid-sized loader.