1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats a better plow a snow-way vs a western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RIDERITE, Dec 15, 2011.

1. RIDERITE

RIDERITE Junior Member
    from CHICAGO

I m looking at a 8'6 western ultramount plow vs a 8' snow-way plow with down pressure. Any advice on which is better , why or any info would help

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

what is "down pressure"?

3. RIDERITE

RIDERITE Junior Member
    from CHICAGO

Its from what i understand 250 lbs of pressure pushing on the blade leaving less pressure on truck. And the blade is lighter than a western

4. birddseedd

call me a newb, but i guess i dont get it. any plow would only have as much down pressure as what the plow weighs.

but in my noobish opinion this is what you need to ask yourself

1. can your truck handle the wider heavier plow? if not the question is already answers.
    2. the wider heavier plow will perform better, but at a cost of wear on your truck, does the plowing you do justify the extra wear on the truck?
    3. price, but remember a good tool is worth the good money.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The big advantage of "down pressure" is back dragging. It adds an additional 250 lbs of down force over the weight of the plow.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

New Snoway? If so then you have

the ability to add scoop wings increasing the blade to 9'6"
    Wireless controls
    ESi headlight system. (no relays. modules, iso-module, switches or other consumable parts) http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/eis
    Down Pressure.
    direct lift with all it's advantages (instant lift response, quieter, easier traveling, and down pressure

Not necessary :nono: http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/downpressure

7. birddseedd

so they have a hydrolic acuator pushing down on the plow as well as one that pushes up to lift?

less tired now. can think better

if this is the case i, personally, would not do this with a light truck. 250 lbs pushing the plow down, means 250 lbs pushing the truck up. that would mean less weight on the tires and less traction.

weather that is an issue or not depends on the truck and tires. i certainly would not do this with a smaller truck as those front tires need traction.

what do the more exprienced think?

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

The 2 plows you are talking about What look at are lite weight plows so down pressure would help
    Western will stack higher vs Snow-way
    Down pressure will be harder on the truck when you hit something
    Back dragging down pressure be super thing to have

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes what do the more experienced think, help us newbies out.

Yes, Down pressure is a wonderful thing when backdragging

10. birddseedd

if back dragging is the goal, wouldent a back drag blade be the ultimate benificiary peice of equipment?

if anyone is interested i can provide a link to a custom back drag blade that looks to be superior to westerns oem. in design and price.

11. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

My family switched from Western to Sno-way back in 1994. You can back drag so much more snow without compacting it as much as a western, you can scrape up compacted snow alot better then a chain lift(with down pressure) It's lighter then the western which means less gas. You do not loose traction with down pressure. When down pressure is activated you can actually plow in 2wd with out any problems. I run my 94 with no ballast and with down pressure I can plow a small lot in 2wd.

I can stack snow about 2 feet taller then my truck. I think thats around 10'. It stacks higher then a fisherXV. My buddy has a fleet of them(8) and I wanted to buy one(XV) so we compared stacking heights. The lots that I do don't have alot of snow storage pace and the customers won't pay for snow hauling. my stacks where about 2feet higher then his.

Currently I have an 8' 29 series that is 7 years old(on 04 Chevy 2500hd) and an 8.5 predator plow 12 years old on a (94 Chevy K2500).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  12. birddseedd

what is the weight of the snow way vs western?

if the snowway is 100+250dp = 350
    would be the same as a 350 western only without the loss of traction.

im sure the snowwaybis more than 100 itself unless made of plastic

13. birddseedd

wish i could have bought my setup from a dealer, would have made it install with many fewer head achs sota speak.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If all you did was back drag yes. But when you want to clean up pack downed snow, frozen trailing, scrape cleaner or any of the number of other times Dp is beneficial.

15. birddseedd

does snowway offer a back blade. with or without dp i sure would never go without one if i had a choice. wonder if the guy's back blade here in mi would fit it. do you have a pic of the snowway in question?

16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribed

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I see it different on stacking I hire a sub his snow-way wont stack as high as my western chain lift plows

18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

So what you're saying is that your plow will go higher than your plow stops?

Wow, the only time I've seen that happen is after something really bad has happened to the truck mount.

These the exact same trucks, tires, etc? Same operator?

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/plow/s/32

though this is my favorite

http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/plow/s/37

20. birddseedd