1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What'd you carry?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowpusha, Jan 29, 2016.

1. snowpusha

snowpusha Junior Member

hey all, this snow season i just bought my first plow a used boss 7'6 standard duty straight blade. i mounted it to my daily driver a 2000 gmc sierra 2500. i am currently plowing for my town in Long island NY. this last snow storm i was having some traction issues and was wondering what'd you carry in your truck beds to help traction? also was wondering what'd you guys carry in your trucks for the commmon Just incase scenario's? such as a fire extinguisher or tow strap ETC..

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

3. snowpusha

snowpusha Junior Member

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I carry this. It can make your life a lot easier.

wm_8166818 [1600x1200].jpg

5. JMHConstruction

There is also a post on kits guys carry. If you search "plow kit" you should find it. You'll have to read between the BS though.

I only do walks, so I don't carry any plow parts. Here is a list of some of the stuff I carry.
    Tow strap
    Reflective triangle
    Fire extinguisher
    Mechanics tool set
    Impact drill
    Random nuts and bolts and other hardware
    Couple extra pairs of gloves and hats
    Water
    Change of clothes
    Flashlights

I know there's more. I try to think worst case and prepare for that. I keep everything in a bag and tote. Works good. Welcome to plowsite

6. JMHConstruction

I assumed that's what he was talking about when I first clicked on the thread :laughing:

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That plow is to small for your truck also. That might be part of your problem.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Usually a .45 and a .38 Special for my backup.

9. snowpusha

snowpusha Junior Member

how so what makes it to small for my truck?

10. gassux

gassux Member
    from NY

i have a couple of totes that i fill with sand from the beach, come spring, i just dump them out. Make sure they are secured with straps.

Yes, your plow is way too small for what you are doing with it. I have a 2500 and i went from an 8' to a 7'6 and it's way too small. I'm looking for a 8.5 pro plus, I think it's the perfect plow for a 2500.

As far as what to carry, baby wipes are a must. I like to wear sweatpants or anything that will prevent monkey butt. Hook the towstrap to your hitch and lay it in the bed so someone can yank you out and you're not crawling in the snow.

11. snowpusha

snowpusha Junior Member

12 gauge shotgun mounted overhead haha.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Open carry I assume..........

13. dieselss

You have a 3/4 ton truck, I'll start there.
    Start with you blade straight, look from behind going forward. How much does the blade over hang?
    Now angle the blade full lock left or right. Look again. How much does the blade cover both tires?
    Don't forget when you turn, whether sharp or gradual, your truck will be running on your windrow. Also, when just pushing normally with it straight or angled, you have a chance of the snow coming back around the edges and building under the truck.

14. snowpusha

snowpusha Junior Member

i havent had any problems with that maybe cause i havent pushed allot of snow yet any ways besides buying a bigger plow anything that can help prevent the chances of this?

15. dieselss

Wings or a bigger plow.
    Your issue of traction really might be this but your not seeing it.

16. snowpusha

snowpusha Junior Member

thanks now i know what to look for, i just need snow instead of 50s in the middle of the winter.

17. dieselss

Don't need snow to do the measurements.
    You'd be surprised at the results.

One last note. When your windowing to the driver's side, when your just about to the pile, stop and open your door and look.
    And that's if you can even open your door

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You have me confused with Stevie.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Huh...... I wonder what would have thrown me oof....

20. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I carry a cute lil .45 hand cannon in the truck.

I have a counter balance in the trailer hitch for weight duty