1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What yr. 5.9 L 2002or 03?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Bossplower, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

I was woundering which truck was the better one to get used.
    Which one has better tranny front end engine ect. the 02 or 03
    4x4 5.9L and is it OK to plow with an ext. cab ?

Thanks Steve

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

1/2 ton or 3/4, some of the newer 1/2 tons have IFS if you were looking for a solid axle.

3. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

I was looking for a 2500HD. I really wanted to know about the tranny and engine I think the rest of the truck is the same.

4. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

The 02 and 03 trucks are quite different. Aside from the newer body style, they are mechanically different. They ended their contracto for axles with Dana Spicer, and switched over to American Axle Co. I think that the engine/trans are pretty similar, as that was the end of the 360. The transfer case was available with an electronic or standard lever shift. The new 03's don't have the Central Axle Disconnect, like the 02s did, so you have less moving parts, and less things to go wrong. You should be fine plowing with an extended cab, as the 360 is not real heavy. You might have to be careful with warranty conditions, but the truck should handle a plow w/o a problem. Hopefully that cleared some things up for you. Good Luck:salute:

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Both trucks would make a decent plow truck.I would reconsider the 360 though,as it's not a power monster,and heavy on fuel.

6. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

I'm going to get a 5.9L diesel I don't know why the 360 got in the post.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

I guess we just saw 5.9L and assumed it was a gas job,as there was no mention of a diesel.Anyways....

The 02 would have the 24V,which is a great motor,with lots of goodies available for it.The 03 would be the new HPCR engine,which makes more power,and is much quieter.If you want it quiet,and are going to leave it stock,then the 03 is the way to go.It will probably hold it's value better a few years down the road,as it's not quite as dated as the older body style.

8. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

I'm sorry I should of said diesel.
    Thanks for the info .I found a 2003 short bed ext cab 15K with all the goodies for 33,000 bucks . I'm going to try and get it for 31-32 K Do you think that's a good deal?
    Thanks Steve

9. fitnessmovers

fitnessmovers Junior Member

Sounds like a good deal. I have a friend who's at Fitzgerald in Rocvkville, Md. and says the engine is a beast. No offense to the Cummins guys but I'm a Ford guy and think you could find 7.3 PSD for less. just my 2 cents. Good luck whatever you buy.

10. JD Shank

JD Shank Junior Member

I would think that 31-32k would be a good deal. I paid alittle over 35k w/ rebates for mine and I got pretty much everything including Larime package.

JD

11. DieselDood78

DieselDood78 Junior Member

You could go with a ford, but if you plan on keeping the truck a long time, go with the Cummins. I have 226,000 miles on mine with modifications (approx 360hp) and it still runs VERY strong and starts in the MN cold. (-8 without plugging it in and 15w40 Rotella) :D

DD