1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What your atv set up this winter 2014-15?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by mikeyd915, Sep 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

2005 Polaris Sportsman 800
    60'' Glacier Plow with Rubber Cal 725psi Rubber Plow-Edge.

Pics from 6-18-14 022.JPG

photo.JPG

2. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

The Beast

Honda Recon 250. Only 2x4
    48'' cycle country plow. V-bar tire chains.

iphone pics all 246.jpg

3. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Nice quads guys. Kawasaki Bayou 220 2x4. cycle country plow with hard to find factory bumper with winch mount. I also have chains. Home made snorkel. Super grip super light tires. Works good enough for my small subdivision drive. I did not use my chains last winter. They f up my drive the winter before.

IMG_20140924_213831_497.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  4. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

Is that 2x4? Also, I've found it near impossible to plow at an angle on the smaller quads (probably a weight issue) because it makes the quad want to slide/twist.

5. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Ya its 2x4. I almost always leave plow straight. I do have screw in font tires. Beats shoving. I also picked up a mint 1986 Lt 80 for my son. Guy i bought it from used it to pull his race car. He must have barely raced

IMG_20140924_222126_325.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  6. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

Anyone else?

7. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

This will be my line up again.

02 Honda Rancher with 50" Moose County Plow as the backup unit.

03 Honda Foreman with 60" Cycle country rear blade and with Ice Ripper's
    for trying to keep packed snow off of the drive way.
    also has a 44" snowblower that goes on the front if I have deep snow to deal with

02 Honda Foreman with 60" Moose plow and full chains
    heated grips and thumb warmer and Moose Handle bar Mits

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

8. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

I seen that Honda is not a real 4x4. As in, there isn't a differential lock so only 3 wheels spin. Is there any truth to this?

Check out this video. It compares major brands 4 wheel drive.
    Start at 4:50 http://youtu.be/1GlkFv2EvJM

9. sublime68charge

yea the Honda's have are a open Diff in the front so you end up with only 1 tire spinning up front. In a pinch if you pump your front brakes you can get your non spinning tire to try and pull some though to help get you going again.

OR you can get a Locker for the front end and solve the problem which is a $200-500 dollar fix depends on what you get.

the 2014 Honda Foreman has a front diff lock option on it now from the factory. only ten years behind from when they should have done it.

that's Honda for you I guess.

10. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

ATV with a cab and heat

PART_1411658313122_0908141453.jpg

11. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

And this is something they would never advertise. It is why I went with Polaris. Only true 4 wheel drive with simple click of a button.

12. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

How does the rubber cutting edge work on snow that has been driven on and compacted?

13. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

This will be my first year.

However, I would expect that is should do fine. It is very thick (1") and pretty stiff. It should do a good job and protect the driveway. The main reason for it was to protect driveway.

If not, I will try the polyurethane plow edge. It is suppose to protect as well but it be a harder material compared to rubber.

I went with the rubber because it was cheaper . I paid $35 for 1''x4''x60'' and $10 shipping.

14. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

Thank you for the info. I have a couple of stamped concrete driveways that will require a rubber cutting edge.

15. sublime68charge

Polaris/Honda whatever both have good and bad points.

as long as it does what you want to due it's all good.

16. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

17. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

86 Honda 350 4wd.

Just built this snow blower for it a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also got an end loader bucket and a plow. Probably build a rear plow too so I can get down to the cement on the neighbors drive without adjusting the shoes on the blower.

18. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

How much did it cost? How much snow does it leave on ground?

By the way, what is the advantage of a snow blower when a plow can handle everything and is faster?

19. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

The blower was a tractor blower. I mounted a 13hp honda motor on it and made it work with the quad. I'm not sure how slow I'll have to go with it, but I plan to use the plow for the most part and the blower to get through the really drifted stuff. Probably won't have to use it much, but it's another tool to have around in case I need it. It's all flat farm land around me, and the snow was pretty insane last year.

I've only got $100 into building the blower, so I won't be super upset if it doesn't get used much. I can always pull the motor and use it on something else in the summer months.

20. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Still using my 2007 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 with a 72" blade, this year I'm trying a poly edge.
    2013-02-21 14.07.22.jpg

[​IMG]

2013-02-21 14.07.22.jpg