1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What you think of this.....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JT's Plowing, Sep 9, 2011.

1. JT's Plowing

JT's Plowing Junior Member
    from 01756

I have been looking around at 250s and came across this one.... relatively low miles for the year its got a super cab too. It doesnt have a plow on it from what I can see. I called dealer and they have it in the shop. They bought it at auction and its having both cam phasers replaced. I just want your thoughts on buying a truck that has had engine issues... I would hate to buy this and have to do more engine work down the road. I did some reading and I guess the problem is from the oil that ford dealers use, causing the phasers to wear and tick loudly like a powerstroke. Heres the link. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=287003055&dealer_id=74965&car_year=2005&useImpressions=true&listingCounter=0&model=F250&adModel=F250&pager.offset=0&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&body_style=TRUCKS&search_type=used&distance=50&rdm=1315576931223&marketZipError=false&listingPriority=30&flip=a&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=GMC&adBodyStyle=TRUCKS,TRADERNA&dma=BOSTON_SO&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=32&first_record=1&isFlashPlugin=true&default_sort=priceDESC&useBIRF=true&address=02019&model2=GMCC25PU&sort_type=priceDESC&adMake=FORD&max_price=20000&adClassSeries=&seller_type=b&make=FORD&num_records=25&cardist=20&ref=srl

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The Cam Phaser issue has nothing to do with the oil Ford dealers use. It was just a marginal design to begin with. I had both Cam Phasers in my 2005 F-150 (5.4 liter) replaced within the first 500 miles.

3. JT's Plowing

from 01756

so hows your truck run now? Did they replace the parts with a newly engineer one?

4. Too Stroked

I sold the truck (with 80,000 miles on it) two years ago. Quite honestly, it was the biggest POS truck I've ever owned. In answer to your specific question though, it was much quieter after they replaced both sides with the latest parts.

BTW, Make sure the dealer replaces the spark plugs before you buy that one. You don't want to go through that hell yourself. And verify that it also has the extended warranty on the fuel injectors. They were problematic on '05's.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  5. JT's Plowing

from 01756

So how many miles did you put on this truck and how much maintenance did you do over the time of ownership?

6. Too Stroked

As I said earlier, I bought it new (special ordered) and put 80,000 miles on it over 5 years. In addition to the Cam Phasers (warranty) at 500 miles, the front rotors were junk at 25,000 miles and the rears at 23,000 miles. (And I'm famous for getting lots of miles out of brakes.) The front IWEs (think auto locking hubs) went at 45,000 miles. The ESOF (Transfer Case) motor went at around 50,000 miles. The transmission was doing all sorts of weird things when I sold it. My own dealer told me to "make the spark plugs the next owner's problem." And I could go on and on.

Ford's own internal quality data shows that they bottomed out in 2005 and have gotten significantly better every year since then. Once I saw that data, my truck made perfect sense.

7. JT's Plowing

from 01756

well i will stay away from them for now I guess! Thanks for the insight!