1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what you have done different this season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by allagashpm, Feb 10, 2015.

1. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Just wondering what you guys would have changed going into this year knowing what you do now. Or mistakes you made that are still affecting you you would have avoided. Or equipment you didnt pull the trigger on but wish you had.
    Me I wish I pushed piled further back. Wish I had dropped the little old lady who's deck I shovel. Wish I got a vbox sooner.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Took on a few new residentials. They don't adhere to the payment schedule clearly laid out in the pre season notification, (billing is after 3 pushes or end of month with payment due upon receipt) and one lady feels she needs to be my text pen pal in the middle of every storm. We have 9 pushes in and none of the newbies have sent checks.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Care to expand on this?

4. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Last year in mi, was our year to get hammered. So this year I did start pushing piles way way back to begin with. I'm pushing way up on lawns and the customers are perfectly OK with it. I also raised my prices. And I'm running two trucks instead of one. With no place to put snow, I also learned some new ways to plow some of my lots. It's all made a huge difference.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Different pay\bonus structure for sidewalk crews.

Wish I would have had the money for another LiveBoxx and tractor. But really, I am very happy with the way everything has gone so far equipment wise.

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Wish I bought more sand and salt for my personal stockpile. I usually buy up a bunch in the summer / fall months, when no one else is buying it. Now I'm down to a single bag of each, and it's scarce to find anywhere.

Never seen so much ice formed on sidewalks as I have this year.

7. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Bought another truck this fall, bought two boss v-xts, got about 14 more parking lots to plow this year, and it has barely snowed here.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

"Different pay\bonus structure for sidewalk crews."

Care to elaborate on that? Always trying to find betters ways to retain the guys doing the toughest jobs.....

9. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Not sure I really needed a plow truck for my driveway. Only needed it 3 times. I do like having it though. Plowed more dirt this summer with plow than snow.

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I took on to many accounts - But it has been a light snow year so far so good. Next year some of these will be gone as the houses will sell. I seem to have the luck that my accounts that sell come with new owns and snow blowers. Built a new building - all the backup stuff in inside.

11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Another thread made me think about this. I also changed my hours worked policy. We worked way too many hours in a row last year, we were unsafe in my opinion. I put my foot down with my customers about us getting our rest, even when the snow doesn't shut off. Some I had to get rid of. We're still working our way to where we want to be, but we are much better than before.

12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I wish I had bought my Ebling sooner. Like years ago.

X2...

13. snowngo

snowngo Member
    from midwest

I changed from using 25% of subs to my trucks to using equal subs and my trucks. Less money for sure but less headaches and repairs.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There's a lot of talk about either a year end "bonus" if they stick out the entire season, or giving them X per hour but holding back $2\hour or whatever and paying it to them at the end if they stick it out, etc.

15. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We give an extra $2/hr for every hour worked if you show up every time. Plus usually $100/bill on any holiday thanksgiving, Christmas, new years, mlk.

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Mlk?;)...........

17. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

That's what I decided to try this year. Tell them their hourly wage, and let them know that they will have $2 of every hour worked held as an end of the year bonus which they will only receive if the show up on time, every time. I didn't want to do $2 on top of their wage because they are already getting paid top dollar for what they do.

I had one guy get admitted to the hospital the night before a storm, his wife called me telling me how he didn't want to lose his bonus and was trying to get discharged. I told him that that was an acceptable excuse, but he still ended up showing up the next day (he was fine to work). I'd say this new policy has worked well for me.

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Second new truck with a new plow and a new sander on it. Sander is a wonderful thing. Easy money.
    Plowing a few larger lots in a new pattern, much more efficient.
    The north east is having a winter like the days of old. It's freaking awesome.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Dropped PITA slow paying accounts.
    Dropped accounts with higher triggers (a few adjusted to what I wanted).
    Replaced with better paying accounts, lower trigger accounts and tightened up my route in the process.

20. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I cant imagine you've spent too much time in the woods this winter.
    I also guess I didnt write the title correctly, I meant it to say what would you have done differently this season.