1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What years?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mainuh, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Mainuh

Mainuh Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a 1995 GMC Sierra K-1500 that is getting severely rusted. The truck has a Fisher RD 7'-6" plow.

What other year GMC/Chevy trucks would the plow system fit? I'd like to swap all components if possible.

2. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

its my understanding that all the 88-98 chevy/gmc trucks were set up about the same. changes to engine/trans combos and electrical doodads, but overall frames I thought were the same. after that the newer 99' and up trucks changed.

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Any GMT400 6 lug truck or SUV

4. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

What year truck are you looking to upgrade to?

5. Mainuh

Mainuh Junior Member
    from Maine

I'm trying to decide whether to search for a truck I can put my current plow on, OR if at least my plow blade and mounts might work on a 2003 Chevy 1500HD that I also have.

I'm thinking if I found a decent truck that EVERYTHING would swap to, I could pull the "new" truck beside the '95 and pull off the electrical items and install them on the "new" truck. Then do the same with the mounts, etc. Saving myself the labor charges of having someone do it.

I'm trying to decide between buying an older truck that would swap the plow OR putting a new plow on my 2003. I kind of don't want to plow with my '03. The '03 is my "city" truck that I use for towing a travel trailer, or boat. It stays on the roads and highways. I even hate hauling brush to the burn center with it.

6. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Your 03 would be nice newer truck to plow with!

7. daman

daman Member

If your looking for plug and play with your set up i do believe your body style(classic 4.3,5.0,5.7,7.4 CID)88-00 will work,starting with the new style body 99(4.8,5.3.6.0 CID) and up are different and would require some fab work to get the lower frame mount to bolt on.

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Your plow will fit the obs up to 2000 in a 1 ton or 1999 in the half ton. With a very little mods to the frame of your 03, your plow may even fit that truck. I have an older 3pt style snoway that came off a 98 K truck and I had it installed on my 03 Tahoe with only the addition of 2 square tubing welded to the bottom of the frame (one on each side) so the undercarriage could be bolted to it. With out getting close, you would never know that undercarriage is not for that vehicle.

9. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

If you do decide to put the plow on the 03, just check on craigslist or local Fisher dealers for a used mount. Where you live in Maine it should be easy to find a used mount for your truck, then just sell your old one.

10. Mainuh

Mainuh Junior Member
    from Maine

I went onto the Fischer website and played with their e-match feature. By plugging in my '95 info and my '03 info, it seems the differences are the mounts (which I assume are on the truck frame), and the headlight harness. The plow blade, attachment/headgear, and 3 port isolation module part numbers are the same '95 to '03. One of the caveats might be that I have a plow system from 1995 (obviously). It is a RD (Regular Duty?). It seems that Fischer's new comparable plow would be a SD.

At least at this point it is looking like my '95 will last through this season. That gives me time to research.

Thanks everybody for being so helpful. If anyone else has anything to contribute, keep it coming.

11. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

The only thing you need is the 7168 push plates for the 03, your wiring will work fine, the difference in the headlight wiring is the 1988 to 2000 OBS trucks did not have DRL's and the new body style has the daytime running lights, which most people don't even want tapped into the plow headlights anyways, so go with what you have and don't worry about the daytime running lights.

12. daman

daman Member

They('98-00') did but the DRL were incorporated into the main driving lights. Instead of separate lights on the NBS '00 up.

13. Mainuh

Mainuh Junior Member
    from Maine

I talked with a local mechanic that said he could swap the system to my '03 for $800. He said push plates and wiring harness would be needed. Not to say you are wrong buddymanz. Just relaying what I was told.

I was/am thinking about just having him do it. But based on this^^^^^post, I am re-thinking about trying to get through this season and doing it myself over the summer. :mechanic:

Can I ask a favor? Would someone with an '03 post a picture of their engine bay, so I could see how things are mounted and connected? I would really appreciate it.

And again, THANK YOU all so much for being so helpful.

14. buddymanzpop

What do you have for headlights in the 95? Are they the single glass sealed beam with high and low beam, the double glass sealed beam with a seperate high and low beam sealed glass bulb or the plastic composite with seperate high and low beam bulbs that go into the back of the composite housings?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  15. Mainuh

Mainuh Junior Member
    from Maine

I'll have to look closely. I didn't realize there were so many differences. I'll check it out and post here.

16. Mainuh

Mainuh Junior Member
    from Maine

OK, a little more info, now that I know more of what to look for.
    The head lights on the '95 are plastic lens, separate high and low bulbs. Also the isolation module is 4 port. I assume that, because I don't really know what 3 port/4port means, but there are 4 connections on the bottom of the module.

17. Mainuh

Mainuh Junior Member
    from Maine

I'm bringing this back. from what I have talked to a local(ish) used plow dealer and repair shop, it seems that the plow can be used on my '03. I need some mounts and wiring.

From looking at my '95, it seems that the wiring is basically plug and play. I am pretty confident that I can do the install myself and save some money. Can someone link me some instructions??

Thanks

18. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

19. buddymanzpop

Your wiring will work on the 03, you most likely have a white label on your isolation module which will not transfer your DRL's from the truck lights to the plow lights but everything else will work.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  20. Mainuh

Mainuh Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks Gents;
    BUT, the '95 GMC has a 4 port Iso Module. Can I make THAT work?