1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What year/s/ Duramax?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hosenfeffer, Apr 30, 2016.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

My 02 gasser has pretty nasty frame rot and thinking of going to the diesel side and my towing business has gone way up in mileage. Still gonna do a few lots but not the focus on this truck.
    Being a diesel "newbie" as it is planning on buying a Texas or other non salt area truck and bringing back up. Any years to avoid or have preference over? Looking at ext cab short beds prefer power mostly everything since sit in it a lot and have bad arthritis. Budgeting 30 k ballpark. Seeing alot of 2008-13 in this range.
    Especially any upgrades in rusting lines ,frames and rocker panels!!!!

TIA marty

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

07.5-13 is the same I believe. After that they went to def.

3. $chultz38

$chultz38 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Def started in 11

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Thanks. Quick Google search and it looks like they had quite a few issues for 11.

Friend just brought a 15. He already deleted it

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Seems like a lot like the 2006-2007.5 lbz's Lots of info http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/?

6. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Those years had the old frame with a 4800 lb front axle rating , a diesel and decent plow have them overloaded . That and a 2006 is over a decade old , hardly an upgrade .

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

My buddy had an 07.5 with no issues. He sold it for 14k with 185k miles on it. And it was an employee truck

Me, I'm looking at RAM. It's either going to be a Cummins or hemi. I haven't decided if it's worth the money for the diesel. I know everyone will scream at me it is. But it's my money that im making a decision with. I had a gas 5.9 and it was perfect for me. Did everything but pass a gas station lol

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

11's and up have a boxed frame and heavier front end. They tow a lot better then previous models. Def really isn't a big problem and it's not very hard or expensive to delete the def and dpf.

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

If pre emissions trucks is what you want, these guys seem to have the absolute nicest stuff around... I have their page bookmarked and check it all the time. Even tho I have all newer trucks, I would take an 07 lbz Sierra anyday if I didn't plow snow as that body style is still my personal favorite

http://www.ocautos.net/web/inventory

10. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Seriously?
    28k for an 11 year old truck with 97k miles on it?
    They are so overpriced it's a joke.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

That's about the market. I agree with you though. I found a 07 Cummins with 57k miles on it for 31k

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If you want mine, just like everything else I have... it is always for sale. 07 LBZ Serria... just what the doctor ordered. Thumbs Up

It is weird to think that my truck is closing in on 10 years old... :cry: I am a sucker for that body style also. With the lack of the emission control BS and the fact that I just got to 100K, I just can't find a reason to part with it.

13. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

06-07 LBZ or 11+ LML.

Stay away from LB7's (2001 to early 2004).

14. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Thanks all, Found a great price on a 2016 gasser could not pass up.

15. leigh

from CT

Banks Chevy?

16. Philbilly2

What is the matter with an LB7? :confused:

I have a bunch of them. Cheap horsepower. They are workhorses!

17. leigh

from CT

18. Philbilly2

So you have a virtually bulletproof transmission, a truck that will haul or pull just about anything, and that can be picked up for cheap now a days, and $1500 injectors stand in your way? :confused::confused:

Every year, every brand, how ever you want to look at it. They all have an issue that will surface at some point. Just a question of if you want to fix it or move on to the next truck and have a different issue to deal with. Thumbs Up

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Since we have the duramax people in here..

03-04 GMC 2500hd. 220k miles extended cab. ReBuilt motor and trans at 160k. Believe it has head studs and some billet trans parts. No body rust. Minor frame rust which I don't care about.

Come with an ultramount 8.5 and 2 year old 2 yd spreader. I know the history, know he takes care of everything etc. He said make an offer, I'm thinking 12. He has said 15 before. Strictly a work truck for me.

What would you pay. Lol

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Why a rebuilt motor and trans at 160k? That seems suspicious.