1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what year is this plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by peewee, Oct 28, 2001.

1. peewee

peewee Member

I am looking at a second truck to buy, and the pump for the plow is a fisher speed cast serial #281598. Does anyone know the year of manufacture from this number?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

e-mail or call Fisher. They can tell you.

3. peewee

peewee Member

I e mailed fisher today and hopefully they can help. If anyone else knows just by looking at the numbers please also let me know. I don't have much luck getting e mail replies for some strange reason. Thanks, Jim

4. peewee

peewee Member

Yeah! They did reply. But unfortuneately they couldn't tell me the year by the serial number. He will try to pin it down within a few years with a detailed description of the pump. So my faith is slowly being restored about replies from customer service reps. Still wish they would put their phone numbers on web pages.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What is the reason that you want to know the year? Just identifying the pump may not help if you want to know the year of the blade. For the most part Fisher pump ,and most other parts, are very interchangeble. There are some differences between Minute Mount and the Old Style packages.

If you are looking for the year of manufacture the best you will probably do is get within a few years. A Fisher istaller who has been around for a while may have a better chance at giving you an accurate idea of the age.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Is that number from the pump? Doesn't seem right, looks more like the serial number from the lift arm, since my Fisher has number 281xxx on the lift and I bought it June 1996. The pump number starte with a letter on my plow.

7. peewee

peewee Member

Hey fireman, I was curious about the year because the guy selling the truck said the plow was 5 years old and the pump and lift arm on the truck look antique. Lawnguy, I think you are right about the number probably being on the lift arm, I was trying to be inconspicuous about getting the number so I just found anything that had a number and memorized it. I probably won't buy this truck at this point anyway. Thanks for the info.

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Did they look "antique" because of their design, or mostly because of rust/peeling paint etc? Just wondering because 5 year's exposure to the salt/weather/etc can make a piece of equipment look old fast, especially if the truck runs around all summer long with the pump hanging off the front of it - I've seen a few of 'em that left the ram extended too!

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

On the other side I have a plow that is 15 years old and looks almost brand new. Sanblasting and paint makes this happen.